New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph Recomendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys, my gun range used to have a chronograph that members could borrow and use, but someone shot the darn thing so I'm looking to get my own. I havn't really done any research on it yet and was hopeing someone could point me in a good direction. Whats a good model to get? Who has them for a decent price?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check Natchez Shooters Supply or Midway. There are several choices for $100, give or take: Prochrono, Chrony, Pact, etc. I bought a Prochrono in 1995 for $99 and it's still working. You can spend a bit more and get one that does a few more statistical operations but I don't think the basic chronograph function is any different.

Or you can step way up and get one of the Oehler's with 2 screens or even further up and get their personal ballistics lab (I'd love one myslef but would have to quit my real job to take full advantage of it).

In truth, if you reload, you need one. And the low end models are so reasonably prices that you might consider 2. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the CED Melliennium. I've had mine for about 8 years, and it's easy and convenient to use and it gives me exactly what I want. Plus, it's reasonably priced (a lot for the money). Check it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oehler no longer makes comsumer priced chronographs.

I researched them all a couple of years ago and decided on the CED. It is very easy to use and download to an EXCEL file.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armadillo:
Oehler no longer makes comsumer priced chronographs.

I researched them all a couple of years ago and decided on the CED. It is very easy to use and download to an EXCEL file.

That sounds cool. Those things look pretty slick too, using USB to connect to your computer and offload the data easy, but at $200 I dunno, I used to use the range's chrony for free Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting Chrony F-1 Master, priced right, works great, has a remote digital display.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar44.htm

http://wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=16|322

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also look in the Midway catalog (it's on line). There is a couple pages with several chronographs listed.

I would, of course, suggest an Oehler M35P but they're not being made any longer (Dr. Oehler can't find an enterprising young electrical engineer who want's to take over the buisiness and also willing to do some hands on work). They are still repairing the M35P and have the sky screens though. If you can find a M35P buy it.

Otherwise I suggest the Professional Pact XP with an additional set of Mark 6 infrared Skyscreens. It is highly portable, easy to use and with the Mark 6 screens can be used indoors or in low light overcast conditions. That set up will set you back about $375 or so but it will give you lots of information besides velocity to ponder on. Also the main electronics sit on the bench so when shoot the skyscreen (most of us eventually do) the replacement cost isn't so bad. A good chronograph is well worth having.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote