New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgen Superformance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got a pound in a trade a couple of days ago. What cartridges do this powder really shine with?

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the Hodgdon website for info & load data for H powders (and now IMR and Win)

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used it in 6mm Rem, 300 SAUM and 338-06 and it has worked in all three.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic in the 260.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3400 fps with 150s in a 300 WSM. That's smoking right along for the little case.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to the Hodgon site. Have to say it is not set up for getting load data for a specific powder. You have to run through the gamut of cartridges. I was hoping to find something on this powder and the 300 Winchester magnum. I found some data for the 243 that is interesting enough to try.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the 2012 annual manual its not listed for the 300 win mag. h4831 in #125 on the burn rate chart and superformance is #126. if it is an extruded powder like h4831 i would start with the h4831 starting load and work up watching the psi. in the 300 win short mag the book gives 65.0 gr starting load and 72 gr max for 165 gr bullet with suprform. h4831 65gr start and 69.5 max with 168 gr bullet. i gave the wsm data to show the book gives = starting powder charges for both powders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've run into excessive pressure using Superformance in a couple of my rifles at low levels well below book maximum. Currently, I load Superformance at starting levels and then work my way up with a chronograph as a sanity check.

It could well have been specific to my rifles, but I do suggest working your way up in a prudent manner.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is slightly slower than H4831 then it is not suited for a lot of empty space in the case. Maybe I will stick with it in the 243 and see if it does anything special out of my 20 inch barrel other than being loud.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quintus

Do you have any 140 grain loads in your 260 that you can share?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I just happened to have their site open in another window; Quoted from their website:

This is another of the spherical powders Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® Manufacturing introduced to answer the frequently asked reloading question: "Can I buy the powder used in the Hornady Superformance factory ammunition?" Superformance delivers striking velocities in cartridges like the 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester and 300 Winchester Short Magnum. Velocities well in excess of 100 fps over the best published handloads and even larger gains over factory ammunition! Because this propellant is tailored for specific applications, the number of cartridges and bullets is limited, but where it works, it really works!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote