New
Find
Notify
Tools

matchkings as a hunting bullet
 Login/Join

<DaveH>
posted
i read the thread a bit lower in thr forum by POP as to the use of matchkings for hunting. well i didn't want to get into that fight but i will make my take on this known here for anyone to read. remember this is just my findings and nothing definitive. I have used matchking in 7mm and .30 cal for both 600 yd prone (f class matches) and for taking a couple of deer with a crop damage permit. now the matchkings didn't prove to be very consistant in how they expanded and most didn't expand much at all as by the proof of a small hole in and a small hole out.(yes we tracked each and every animal), some even just totaly went to pieces and ruined so much meat that most of the animal was wasted. i for one do not advocate that anyone use a match bullet for other than punching paper as that is what they are intended for and nothing else. each and everyone of us that hunts owes the animal we hunt the utmost in respect and a clean and humane death as is possable. and to use the right bullet for the job is a start.
just my $.02 . DaveH

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Oh no.Here we go again.LoL!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
I did not realize that Matchking's were so explosive to totally destroy a deer with one shot. What are they putting in those things - Nitro?

In any event Dave, I agree that Matchkings are designed to destroy paper, not animals.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DaveH
your wasting your time on this one Dave, these guys know more than Sierra/Hornady/Speer etc. They have obviously done more research and development on match bullets than the manufacturers.

griff

Posts: 1178 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Boyd Heaton:
Oh no.Here we go again.LoL!!!!!!!!!

That's what was going thru my mind when I just saw the title!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave H how many times did you shoot those couple of deer. A couple is two deer Or how many have you shot with match kings altogather. How many didn't expand and how many fragmented.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<DaveH>
posted
there were atotal of 20 deer taken during the time the permits were valid. of the deer that were taken probably half (just guessing) were shot in the heart lung area anywhere from 50 yds to 125 yds and when the bullets that were used (matchkings by sierra) hit the offside shoulder, that front quarter of the deer was unusable (as in the meat was shreaded and bone fragments all through the meat). the rest of the deer that we examined (skinned) if the bullet didn't hit any major bones just made a nice neat little hole in and out. (much tracking) the rest were taken with mostly head and neck shots and you can guess at the mess that was left. it is by no means a difinitive test but enough to convince me that match bullets are just exactly that match bullets.

<green 788>
posted
The two instances wherein I used Sierra Matchkings to take game were both one shot, instant drops, devastating, to say the least.

The rifle was my Savage 10FP in .308 Winchester, and the targets of opportunity were, well... pigeons.

They do work well on pigeons!

green 788

<CHARLESARBUCKLE>
posted
DaveH,hello
May I ask what caliber and grain you where shooting? My group has shot over 70 deer with the MK's.Mostly with the 168gr but we have shot several with the 190's and 220's,in 300 win mag and 300ultramag.In all instances the results where incredible to say the least.Yes they tend to destroy meat but not as bad if you hit the center of the ribs

Sincerely the GRIM REAPER

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone advocating the use of matchking's on the other thread would recommend them for close ranges. they repeatedly mention using partitions up close and only using the matchkings at long, long ranges where they perform admirably.

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<DaveH>
posted
we were using a .280 rem with 150g mk and a .308 with 168g mk. the load for the 280 was as follows 54.5g 4350/150g mk/fed 210 primer. the .308 was 42.5g 4895/168g mk/cci br2 primer/fed gm match brass. the .308 seemed to punch through the ribs with a little hole in and out. the 280 seemed to be a bit on the explosive side especially when a major bone was hit. head shots it didnt seem to matter a mess is just that a mess.

[This message has been edited by DaveH (edited 12-29-2001).]