Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H with newer powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All

I had worked up a reasonably good load with VV550 for my .375 H&H with 300 grain TSX's. I still also need to come up with a solid load that will match it as well.

I have read here that the new RL 17 was supposed to be the cat's meow for this cartridge combination. I figured that the newer reloading manuals and Alliant's web site would have something, but I found nothing.

Has anyone worked with this combo or any of the other newer powders with this caliber/bullet combination.

A bit of background-

I've got a Tanzanian hunt coming up and figure that part of the fun is seeing if I can come up with something that may work better. I have heard that the VV 500 series powders tend to burn barrels a bit quicker than others.

The .375 is the light rifle, so I will be using both solids for the little animals (Dik Dik) and the TSX for PG and of course the rifle is the back up to the other (416) so I assume its better to stay with the 300 grain TSX which has worked very well for me in the past, rather than going to a 270 grain bullet.

Posts: 10797 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well if the reason people say the 500 series burns barrels is because it is double base then RL17 won't save you anything since it is DB as well. QL says in theory RL17 would burn about 4 grs less for same pressure and velocity.

I can't imagine burning out a 375H&H barrel.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
c-r,

I'm using 79.5 grs. of VVN160 w/300 gr. Hornady RN's and that has turned out to be a VERY accurate load in 2 rifles; a Blaser R93 (a lightweight at 7.4lbs as .375H&H's go) & Winchester Model 70 (just >11 lbs. all-up).

I agree on the "lighter than bullets". One trip my Buddy showed up w/Federal ammo & 260 gr.
TBBC's. Good bullet if you dote on fishing them out of the carcasses and collecting for future bullet forensics Show & Tell. IMO a tad on the light side for REAL penetration; the 300's are more of a better thing.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Why not stick with RL15? That's my go to powder for the H&H.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 or H414/WW760 are hard to beat in a .375, although I'm sure there are several other powders that will do similarly well.

If you're concerned about burning out a .375 barrel you either shoot way too much, or can't afford to go to Tanzania, or both.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote