New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 starting loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went to the range yesterday to start load development on a 243 I just re-barreled. It was a beater that shot decent but fouled like crazy and had a scorched throat so I rebarreled with a Shilen SS Match #5 contour cut back to 25 inches. Trued the action, ground the recoil lug, glass bedded, free floated, and adjusted the trigger. First load was 43 grains of 414 under a 72 grain Barnes Varminator lit with a CCI large rifle primer in Winchester brass. It shot 1 1/4 inches no pressure signs. Needs work. The second load was 44 grains of H4350 under an 80 grain Barnes Tipped TSX. It shot 3/4 of an inch. This one has a lot of promise being shot in a new barrel. I think I'll play with a grain up and down and seating depth to see what it does. Any suggestions, I'll keep you posted on any spectacular results and I expect to get some. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dwheels.....
I read your post and then read it again, you need to change you script to read CCI large rifle primers instead of small primers. You have the start of some promising loads, keep up the good work...

Posts: 99 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the miss print I meant to say CCi Large rifle primers. I would edit the post but don't know how its done.
I'm going to measure the Max distance to the lands using this bullet. Then try seating them .010 off the lands with a grain more powder. The range is open again this weekend for all the folks getting their deer rifles and elk rifles ready so I'll report back Sat. afternoon. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
With the Barnes bullets, Barnes recommends a bullet jump of 0.050".

Start low and work your way up to near max powder loads!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
In the bottom right hand corner of your post you will see two little yellow symbols. The one that looks like a pencil eraser pointing at an envelope is the "edit" button.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandson and I went to the range today. In the middle of Elk and Deer Hunters making sure their rifles still shoot we were able to get a little done. I tried a different seating length and a little more powder in my 80 grain TTSX load. It is now 44.5 grains of H4350, A CCI Large Rifle Primer, RP nickle plated bras that was given to me. Brand new. The OAL that shot the best by far was 2.580 inches. Thats as deep in the case as I can get it without getting into the ogive. Two groups roughly measured at 1/2 inch and 9/16 inches letting the rifle cool between groups. I'll start on the prairie dog loads next with both 58 and 72 grain Barnes Varminators that I bought when they were discontinued. The TTSX load will be for deer, coyotes, antelope and whatever else presents itself as an opportunity. DW

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Do you have a chronograph? Get a Shooting chrony.

I personally believe that a chronograph is a MUST HAVE for load development. That TTSX load looks great but for hunting reliability I would seat out a bit more. By seating it so deep you are increasing pressure as you reduce case capacity. I would try 45 gr and bullet seated out. As another member posted - Barnes recommend seating .050 inch off lands.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11183 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of mphfreak
posted Hide Post
95 grain Hornady sst pushed with 45.5 grains of H4350 seated at 2.59. 3200 fps. .45" group at 100 yards.

270 win
308 win
7mm mag
257 weatherby

Posts: 10 | Location: Northern Alberta, canada | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I saw a 100 grain Hornady SST blow up, litterally, on an antelope at 130 yards. Not once but twice. The bullets didn't even make it to the opposite side. It could have been a bad batch of bullets, but it certainly turned my nose away.

I just got my 243 back from a rebarrel and still getting it broken in, but when I do, I'll be shooting the same 80 grain TTSX.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a very short throated chamber? I'm loading the same Barnes, and am running them right at about the center of the first band, below the first groove. Extremely accurate bullet, and acts like it's a 7mm or larger when it hits game.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote