New
Find
Notify
Tools

ARE THESE LOADS SAFE TO FIRE? 7x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys, another dumb question. I full length resized some used brass given to me, my loads are well within spec according to the load manual but I have come to the conclusion that I did not set the sizing die properly. The rounds chamber but are a little more difficult to chamber than others I loaded a month ago. I think I need to turn the die down abit next time as I have loaded all the cases I have on hand. My load is 0.5gr above start load. Is it safe to fire these rounds that chamber tightly or do I need to pull all the bullets and re adjust my die and start all over again? Will the pressure increase to any significant level?
PS I cant go test these loads as the weather is bad AGAIN!!! Always on a F$%#^&*ng weekend!
Thanks
PS YES! LEE DIES! Roll Eyes

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
As long as the reason for hard chambering isn't because the bullets are seated too far out, the loads should be safe to fire.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No the bullets are seated 1.5mm off the lands. Checked. Thanks

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
As long as the reason for hard chambering isn't because the bullets are seated too far out, the loads should be safe to fire.

I would also add that the case necks are not to long.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, the necks were trimmed. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I will fire that one round and check for pressure signs. What if its that one round that blows the gun up? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
Yes I will fire that one round and check for pressure signs. What if its that one round that blows the gun up? Big Grin

oldYou're screwed! CRYBABYroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're that concerned, bag the rifle into position and use a long string to pull the trigger....... Or have someone that you don't like try it out.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most likely your loads are safe.
What are the details of loads?

I think you would like some other brand of dies...

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they'll probably come out easier than they went in.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I screwed the die down a little and the problem was solved. Loaded 10 rds and they went in perfectly. S335 similar to IMR3031 40grs Col 75mm.