Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Weight Information
 Login/Join

posted
Does anybody here have a good place to point me to in order to collect information on average brass case weights for standard handgun and rifle rounds? I am interested in standard rounds from 38 Special to 45 Colt and 17 Remington to 45-70 Gov't. Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello John, welcome to the board, and a happy new year !

This is a question I never heard before and I wonder what made you ask.

I don't know any source to find a list of cartridge weights either, but I know one thing for sure:

cartridge weights of different manufacturers will vary in weight - this may even happen with batches of the same producer.

As the expansion of the case is a function of internal pressure development and material properties of the cartridge, variations of the latter will be detrimental to accuracy.

In other words: never mix cases of different manufacturers.

In an extreme constellation (stiff loads) this may even become a safety issue.

----------------------------------------------

-----------------------------
Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving
cabs and cutting hair. ~George Burns

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yea, I knew this was a crazy question. I have an opportunity to buy range brass in bulk and am trying to figure out what it is worth by the pound. Thanks anyway!

one of us
posted Hide Post
For the general weight of bulk brass, I mostly refer to the printed catalog of Midsouth Shooters Supply. In that catalog, they list ship weights for, say, 2000 bulk .223 Rem cases etc. With luck, you might find ship weights for the calibers you need. Sadly, I don't believe that information is available on Midsouth's website. But perhaps another Internet supplier has similar information on-line??

Such data will naturally only be an approximation to what you may be offered, as it assumes all cases are of the same manufacture, plus it probably includes some sorth of packing. But it will probably not be that far off...

Btw, the .17 Rem is a necked down .223, correct?? So you should be able to use the weight for .223 cases for that, should you not find .17 Rem weight data

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Btw, the .17 Rem is a necked down .223, correct?? So you should be able to use the weight for .223 cases for that, should you not find .17 Rem weight data

No it is 222 Remington Mag just like the .204. .223 cases are just a hair short.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Jay, I learn something new here every day - although in this case I should have known... Roll Eyes.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote