THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Don't have Hornady Manual, Anyone have 40 S&W, Unique stats

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't have Hornady Manual, Anyone have 40 S&W, Unique stats
 Login/Join

posted
Hello. I don't have the Hornady manual and just came by 500 rounds of Hornady 180g 40047-X rounds cheap. They are FMJFP and measure .606 long by my calipers. Does anyone know the charge for Unique and COAL I should be using for my Glock 22 (40 Cal)? I used 6 grains and a COAL of 1.125" for 155 grain Hornady XTP's and had real good luck.

I'm leaning toward 5.1 grains of Unique with this load because the Lyman Manual (the closest I have on hand) lists starting grains of 4.9 and max charge of 5.6 for Unique but this is for a Sierra JGP #8460 180 grain (they recommend COAL of 1.115" for that and it's a very similar looking bullet). Still, without having any more 155 XTP's to compare total bullet length and ogives on, I'm kind of at a guessing point for COAL on these 40047-X's. Any advice you could render on either subject but especially COAL would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I can not be of much help. The latest Hornady manual shows the 40047 FMJ-FP as discontinued.

In the loading data for the 40 S%W they do not show any Unique loads at all that I can find.

The recommended COL shown is 1.125 inches.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alliant data shows 6.7gr max of Unique with a 180gr Speer. Another source I looked at listed 6.4gr with generic 180gr JHP. The data for 180gr Sierra listed the 4.9min and 5.6gr max again with Unique. I'm loading 6.7gr of HS6 with 180gr Berry bullets and some bulk remington bullets I found. This was the most accurate in my Glock.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.
Joe