New
Find
Notify
Tools

european vs. US 22 hornetis
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
will a ruger #3 bore diameter .221 like some european 22 hornets??

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Everyone on the Ruger forums say that they are .224 (US). A lot of people seem to be shooting the Hornady 35 grain V Max.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thank you

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used bullets in both .223" and .224" in several different Hornet rifles. The nominal bore diameter of the various rifles is unknown. And unknowable: If you determine the barrel "diameter" by pushing a soft lead slug through it, the measurement you will get will be the tightest spot in the barrel. A barrel can vary by more than .001" over its length.

I've found no difference at all in the performance of either bullet diameter in any rifle. A .001" difference in bullet diameter is insignificant since the bullet will either "bump up" or swage down upon firing.

This non-issue of "bore diameter" has been floating around amongst Hornet shooters for as long as the Hornet has been around. No need to obsess over it as it has little potential impact on performance.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote