Notify
Tools

Powder Info - Craigster....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Craigster - and anyone else interested -

I mentioned that Synthesia of Slovenia made the powder sold as 2200 by AA. It is really amazing how the powder world has opened up internationally in the last couple of decades. Folks may or may not know that even Winchester domestic sporting ammo has apparently been made using at least some lots of Synthesia powders in the last 11 years (maybe longer). It is also apparently used in some of the military ammo loaded at Lake City under Winchester operations there.

Historically, Olin (Winchester) sold its explosives branch to Primex Technologies, Inc., including the powder factory at St. Marks, Fla. At the same time, it contracted to buy large amounts of powder from St. Marks. In exchange for a guaranteed supply, it agreed to buy certain powders exclusively from Primex.

Just in case, though, it also executed a "secret" contract with Primex in 1996 to allow either to buy/supply powders from Synthesia without violating their already existing contract for the St. Marks powders. This was primarily in case the St. Marks facility should experience problems which would limit the supply available to Olin AKA Winchester.

If you have any interest in reading it, here is a link to the "secret" contract.

http://www.secinfo.com/dV3Ce.8d.8.htm

It may also be interesting to note that Synthesia is actually a subsidiary of Explosia, which manufacturers a great many rifle propellants. AA2200 (Explosia D-063-01) is listed by them for the 7.62 x 39 under their military powders. It is just a little red hair faster than D-063-02 which they list under sporting powders as as their equivalent of AA 1680, which in turn is also manfuactured by St. Marks as a twin to Win 680...talk about full circle!!

(Being just a hair faster than 1680, 2200 should be ideal for both the Hornet and the .221 chambered in rifles.)

Anyway, here is a link to all of the Explosia powder identities and what they are intended for in way of cartridges.

http://www.explosia.cz/en/streliviny/download/streliviny.pdf

Pax vobiscum, y'all,
AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC,

Thanks, interesting information. It brings up a question, how many of the powders we as handloaders use are actually made in the USA? IMR is Canadian, Hodgdon repacks, and a lot of Alliant is Swedish (Bofors?). It is an international maket for sure.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster -

I suspect a lot more of the powders we handloaders use are foreign than we are being led to believe.

I suspect it is even one of the major players in the continued price increases for American manufactured ammunition. I suspect all American manufacturers use foreign powders to some degree, and as the dollar continues its free-fall against other currencies, it takes more and more dollars to buy the same amounts of powder our ammo companies used to get cheap when the dollar was strong.

Just think, in the last year, the Euro has almost exactly doubled in value against the dollar (It was worth about $0.80 U.S. a year ago, now it is worth about $1.60 U.S.)

That's one of the temporarily hidden costs of borrowing $1 Billion+ per day on the international money-market to fight in places like Iraq. I still don't understand why we had to use a whole country's resources for six years so far to do what a few covert operations could have acomplished in less time at a fraction of the cost. When I become God, things are gonna change Cool

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Craigster -

Just think, in the last year, the Euro has almost exactly doubled in value against the dollar (It was worth about $0.80 U.S. a year ago, now it is worth about $1.60 U.S.)

I wish I could have bought Euros at $.80 last year. US Dollars on the left per Euro:

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fjold -

Took my info from a TV "economist" just last night. Appears he exaggerated just a bit.

Even with the figures you show, however, the U.S. dollar has lost about what, 50 cents or a bit more against the Euro in the last few years? Still makes it a plummeting currency...and everything it buys has to cost the American more.

I wish I had bought them (Euros). By your chart I could have gotten them 14 months ago for about $1.17, and I would be holding them now at $1.57...a neat 40 cent (33.8%) gain for the foreign currency holder in just a year.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I invested in 8-pounders. N.S.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Despite this here in the UK everything gets more expensive! Even stuff we import from the USA. Oh yes indeed folks, they screw us over from every direction.

So, prices increase in the USA because the Dollar is weak against our Pound and this increase gets passed on to us in the UK because prices are increasing in the USA. Look at the price of US ammo here, what you pay $17 a box for we pay $40. Some of the Federal 308 ammo must be close on $100 a box of 20 here in the UK now.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Or perhaps defensive capability should liberal justice continue its unpleasant trend, or aztlan extend to its imagined "Red Dawn" limits.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This reply is twofold. Hey Alberta Canuck thanks for the info does that mean that since 2200 powder is still made by this Explosia company that it will still be available in the US ? Inthe future? This question is for Bartsche. How accurate are your 110 gr bullets in 30 30 and 3006. I shoot them in 3030s 308s and 3006 and they are extremely accurate to 100 yds!! In fact the 110 gr remington fmjs shoot better in my 308 than any sierras (of any grain) that ive shot thru them I use the lee factory crimp in the 308s as its semi auto. I find this amazing since the 110s are 307 dia.

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philbilly:
This reply is twofold. Hey Alberta Canuck thanks for the info does that mean that since 2200 powder is still made by this Explosia company that it will still be available in the US ? Inthe future? This question is for Bartsche. How accurate are your 110 gr bullets in 30 30 and 3006. I shoot them in 3030s 308s and 3006 and they are extremely accurate to 100 yds!! In fact the 110 gr remington fmjs shoot better in my 308 than any sierras (of any grain) that ive shot thru them I use the lee factory crimp in the 308s as its semi auto. I find this amazing since the 110s are 307 dia.

Phil -

Sorry, I don't know the answer as to whether it will ever be available to us again.

To be honest, I rather doubt it. I suspect the only reason we ever got any in the first place was that it was placed on the world surplus market by a foreign government back when our currency still had some relative strength. That way, AA could buy/import/sell it "cheap".

Now they would have to pay full "jobber" price for it, when our dollar is worth less and shipping costs have gone up because of fuel price increases, which both would make any importer's retail price have to be much higher.

Under those conditions, would there be enough demand to make bringing it back economically viable? I don't know, but would guess "No".

I sure like the stuff, but am going to use what I have left cautiously because I doubt I will ever see any more of it. Especially if the Obama/Hillary ticket comes to power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck Thanks again Hes lets hop and pray Hilliry or Obama doesnt make it!! Obama and Teddy Kennedy will grab all our guns and reloading equip!!!!!

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote