Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee collet neck sizer/help
 Login/Join

posted
Just bought a Lee collet neck sizer for .30-06 and I set it up according to Lee's instructions and nothing happens. I took the die apart, which was all lose and sloppy, and I inserted a new case into the collet sleeve and the collet sleeve seems to be about 1/2 inch too long.By inserting the case on the shell-holder into the sleeve only, the lip of the case does not even reach the jaws of the collet. Am I doing something wrong or did I get a bad die from Lee?

one of us
posted Hide Post
With a case in the shellholder the case should come even with the end of the collet. Maybe they sent the wrong die or one with the wrong collet. Check with Lee They will solve your problem.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The die should seem "sloppy" when assembled. Make sure the sleeve is free traveling in the die body and not hung up. They sometimes need a bit of polishing on the collet fingers and a twist or two with a emery cloth on the mandrel. Raise the ram to the top of its travel and screw the die until it touches the shell holder, give it another 1/4 turn and lock it down. You might need to turn the die a hair more in the press but don`t over do it, no more then a extra 1/8 or so turn and you`ll start crushing case shoulders. That and a dab of lube on the collet fingers and they almost have to work if they are the proper die.
Be sure to raise the ram all the way to the top when sizeing. The die sizes right at the top of the travel and you won`t feel anything until it finally starts, the sizeing will take some pressure to do.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
My instructions say "ADJUSTMENY FOR LEE PRESSES
Screw the sizing die in until it contacts the shell holder, plus one turn more"

For other presses such as my RCBS it says "the die be screwed in until the die contacts the shell holder, plus 2 FULL TURNS.

when I use it I adjust it the 2 turns past and then when I size the case the handle will not go all the way down. It says to put about 25 pounds of downward pressure on the handle and it is sized. It is not supposed to go all the way down like regular dies.

The collett sleeve hangs down about a 1/2" below the bottom of the die normally and is loose. I don't fully understand the mechanics of it but it worked for me perfectly last night.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
My instructions say "ADJUSTMENY FOR LEE PRESSES
Screw the sizing die in until it contacts the shell holder, plus one turn more"

Woods,
I stand corrected! I set mine one turn PLUS 1/4 more. Thats what I meant to tell him. Don`t know where my brain was when I wrote that.
homer
Damn, I`ve used those things the last 15 yrs Ya`d think I`d have `em figured out by now... least enough to tell someone how to set one up. Lets see, righty tighty, lefty loosy. Red Face

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. I went back and followed your instructions and it worked, but leave it to me to never leave well enough alone. Started playing with different depths on the die vs. the shell holder until I tore the threads off the top cap. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm going back to my regular dies even though the one thing I hate about reloading is messing around with case lube. again, I thank for your help.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Thet's OK OJ

Do you use a body die to push the shoulder back or just use the collet die to neck size only? There's not any way to neck size just part of the neck with a collet die is there?

How the hell did you tear the threads off the top cap. The top cap is screwed in tight all the time and you adjust by screwing the die into the press. Didn't think you could put enough pressure on the handle to tear threads off!!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tore the threads off that cheap aluminum cap on my 7-08 collet die. I made another one out of steel at machine shop class. I was trying to get more bullet tension, I should have reduced the madrel O.D. a little to achive more bullet pull.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
There's not any way to neck size just part of the neck with a collet die is there?

I believe you can trick the die into closing by putting a washer around the case in the shell holder. With a little trial and error, you might get the part of the neck sized you want.

I also once busted the cap off a collet die. Forget the exact circumstances, though.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Woods I hit the cases with a FL sizer every so often It usually takes 7-8 loadings to get to the point I feel they need it.