New
Find
Notify
Tools

should I step up to a Dillon?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Lee progressive press and am very satisfied by the powder measure dispenser accuracy. But I do feel like I am doing alot of work that could be done for me by a Dillon press.

I do alot of 45 cal and 357 mag pistol on the press and I am concerned about the small powder loads required. Being off by .2 grains is a lot for precision on these loads where this is a drop in the bucket for a 3000Win mag or 243 case load.

Who can help me understand how well the Dillon meets pistol as well as rifle requirements?

thanks in advnace.!!!

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use my 550B for pistol loadings....mostly 45acp in hardball type loading pressure for duty gun pratice ammo.....I just run spot checks on the amount of powder dropped after I get the hopper full and start loading......I get good consistant results on the paper and haven't had a stoppage from a loading error in several thousands of rounds......if you like the Lee then you should LOVE the Dillon....I also have a old CPM-Star copy that I have set up for 38special and revolver loading.....it uses bushing type powder droper and it also doesn't give problems with the small powder amounts IF you keep the powder assy CLEAN.....just watch the Dillon when brand new to let the parts "rub in" and you will never regret the switch..imo....good luck and good loading-shooting!!

bigdaddytacp

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 550 and 650 Dillon . I wouldn't trade them in for any thing else except maybe brand new Dillon improved Models ,if they ever make any !.

As I at one time or another have owned just about every other manufactures presses , for me Hands Down DILLON !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dillon 550
simple easy effective
9mm up through 308. no problems
they do take a bit of effort to do rifle calibers with cast bullets.
but for pistols nice consistent ammo.
without any hassles.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bigdaddy's right. I use a 650 for .41, .44, & .45 ACP. No problems with the charges after many thousands of rounds . I also load .375 H&H and 7mm Rem, but that's a different story. The extruded powders do not meter well at all. I weigh every charge. For pistol calibers, though, you can't beat it.

The Dillon seating die is a pain in the ass. I use Redding seating dies.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use the Hornady powder measure on a Dillon, or just get the Hornady AP. Quicker caliber changeover, too. Does the work of a 650, and their free bullet deal makes it a real bargain. Those who have them like them very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I guess I will set my sites on a DILLON Press as it seems like the powder metering is safe and predictable.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply!!!

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've never used a lee but a good fried did and switch to dillon had a big grin on his face after switching.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dillon RL 550b & SL 900... .380ACP, 9mm, .40S&W, .44Mag., .44Spcl., .45ACP, .223, .308, .30-06, 20ga., 12ga.

Dillon makes very high quality machines. I have used LEE, and MEC. I know that is not a large sampling of equipment to try, and that is because I went through the same dilema you are experiencing now. I chose Dillon. END OF STORY!!!!

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Not that I would talk you out of a Dillon, I have (2) 550Bs, but can you just get the adjustable Lee measure for your Lee? Fixed volumn powder measures are a handloaders nightmare, especially w/ small charges of fast burn rate powders. If you like your Lee, look into that. If you are just tired of using a marginal piece of reloading kit, then by all means, step upto a Dillon.
I like the 550B if you load for several calibers. Caliber change overs are cheaper & easier than a 650. If you load a 10s of 1000s of one or two calibers, then a 650 makes alot of sense. With the current price increases at Dillon, I would look hard at a Hornady LNL. WIth the free bullets, it's a heck of a deal for a quality, auto indexing progressive.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
You can't compaire a lee & dillon the lee will get you to the finish line sooner or later the dillon will get you there right away.

I have 3 presses 1 RCBS RC and 2 dillons a SDB and a 550 I personaly hardly ever use the 550 anymore the RCBS works great for all my rifle loading and the SDB cranks out pistol round after round it was made for pistols, this is my 2 cents and you now what that's worth.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a Dillon 550 2 years ago and liked it so much last year I bought the 650 with a brass feeder. i have the 550 set up for 223 and the 650 set up for 9MM. It all depends on how much time you have and what you shoot. I've also got a RCBS single stage I use for 7MM Mag and 3006

Posts: 21 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: 01 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fredj338 ; Right I use my 650 for pistol volume shooting , 550 for Rifle calibers .

The only regret regarding Dillon I've ever had is not buying to many tool heads to begin with !.
Along with other accessories .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rje,

Dillon's powder measure offers 3 adjustable powder chambers: pistol, rifle, and magnum rifle. And as with any powder measure, spherical or ball type powders meter very well.

Have a look at the Dillon SDB if you're just loading straight-walled pistol cases. Auto-index and it uses the very same powder measure as the RL550.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus one for Dillon 550. I bought mine many moons ago and have loaded tens of thousands of 45 ACP rounds with W231. I used to check the powder measure by weighing every 50th or so charge, then I increased the interval to 100, but the charges from the Dillon were always +/- 0.1 grain. Now I only check the measure before starting a loading session, and again at the end of the session.

Each year I also use the Dillon to load a couple thousand rounds of 223 Rem which are used to dispatch hordes of invading prairie rats.

Posts: 30 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a good comparison of Dillon, Lee and Hornady Progressive presses, look here:
http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good article comparing Dillon, Lee, and Hornady progressive presses, but the last text is what made me get the Hornady LnL

It reads:

"Dillon vs Lee vs Hornady Or
“How I spent my Winter and Then Someâ€
After some soul-searching, I have switched to the Hornady – compared to the Lee, it’s smoother, the powder system is better, the case feeder is more reliable and versatile, and it’s a true five-die setup – compared to the Dillon it’s cheaper and faster to do calibre changes, and smoother to operate. I’ll miss the Dillon – finely-made equipment is a joy to have around. I’ll miss the Loadmaster too – simple, low-cost equipment feels like value."
V1.4.3

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My a Hornady LnL, is as good as a Dillon 650, at the cost of a 550.

Plus, you'll get 1,000 free bullets for the purchase. With the free bullets, you'll have a fine press - for under $100.

I am really enjoying my new press, in fact, I just finished loading 200 9mm rounds and 100 45 ACP rounds - and I was "just fooling around".

Hack

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dillon 550 for me. I have a rcbs rockchucker also for rifle loading, but I do 223 on the 550 for the ar-15's. never had a problem. The powder charges are nothing short of dead nut accurate. When I first started loading on the 550 I would check charge weights, and I am amazed at how it throws the right weight everytime. The gun shots <1 moa consistently.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote