Tools

Winchester brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Shot under 1/2" group yesteday with Ruger .270
using Winchester once fired brass

Using Remington & Federal once fired brass, groups opened to 2-1/2 "

All resized & trimmed. There were noticable factory crimp markes in Winchester brass before I trimmed.

Why so much better groups with Winchester ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Winchester is the clear winner.
My son uses Win brass for his target rifles, so his father started using it too.. Big Grin
Good stuff.
I'll be bold enough to say that Win brass sorted by weight, with flash holes deburred, and primer pockets reamed, is about equal to the high end Norma, RWS and Laupa brass.

Don

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boarman:

All resized & trimmed. There were noticable factory crimp markes in Winchester brass before I trimmed.

After separating the cases come pair the brands by weight. You maybe shocked. Some have much thicker walls then others. There for increasing the PSI/CUP also increasing the FPS.

Just a suggestion of a answer to the mistrory.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boarman:

Had any of the brass been fired in your rifle before? Are you sure all things were equal in your test?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've found that Winchester brass has the better accuracy when compared to Federal and Remington and also seemed to have the larger capacity for overloaded amounts of H4831

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Most of the brass I shoot is indeed Winchester, but I don't find a specific brand-to-accuracy correlation. I two of my 300s, I get better accuracy with RP brass. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never found any accuracy edge to any brand of brass in any caliber I have shot, when different brands were available. A comparison is only worthwhile if the sizes and capacities are all the same in each and every case, and the tests are conducted in the same conditions including wind, temp, barrel temp, cleanliness, etc. The # of times the brass has been worked and accuracy of annealing, if any, will affect the bullet release, as well. It sounds like you had some W cases that were uniform and some F and R that were not.

I use Lapua in all my match guns for three reasons:

There are fewer culls in any given lot.

They are the only ones making some of my calibers, other than Norma, which costs much more and has no added benefit that I can prove.

They last longer.

I like to shoot a fair group in my plinking guns, but I can't justify the expense of the Lapuas in them, as they all shoot about the same with whatever brass, as long as it is uniform.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SR,
All were fired once from my Ruger as factory rounds. All were prepped the same.

James,
I will check weights.

Could neck tension be different, even if all were run through same die ? The Win did have a factory crimp

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I can't swallow this one !.

If you had said 1" too 1 1/2" I could knuckle under that but 2" differences

because of brass ?. Can't swallow it sorry . Roll Eyes

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do the volumes of the cases compare?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
I hope it isn't the brass......I have a bunch of Remington & Federal laying around.

Win69,
Without trying to sound stupid, how do I easily measure this ?

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Back when I hunted groundhogs with a 243 I got my best loads using Winchester Super X brass (came from factory loaded stuff) and Norma.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
How do the volumes of the cases compare?

I hear the best way to compare the case volume is by filling a few cases of each brand with water and weigh the water volume. Bam! you have your difference.

Personally I would use something different, I don't want to be messing with water around my bench unless I m cleaning my muzzle loader Wink

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote