New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady SST's and seating depth
 Login/Join

<harkm>
posted
I just loaded my first batch of .280 Rems with Hornady 139g. SSTs. The Hornady book shows the C.O.L. to be 3.345. I did this but the cannelure on the SST's is a full 1/8 of an inch above the case necks at this length. I just started reloading an this is the first time the cannelure has been seperated from the case necks. Is this a common occurance?

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I've got the same problem with the SST's. If I seat it all the way to the cannelure to crimp, there is NO WAY I can get it to the COL that Hornady lists for the 7-08 or the 270 Win. It's got to be a misprint, but they are all that way.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same problem with the .270 130grainers. I just ignore the cannelure.

R

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Fanback>
posted
I bought a box of the 270's in 130 grain thinking they'd be about the same profile as their 130 Gr flat base bullets. Not even close. I have to seat them much further out to get to the lands where my rifle likes them. The groove was way out beyond the mouth. I got worse accuracy than the flat bases. My theory is that between the long profile and the boat tail, I was not getting enough neck grip for consistency.

Long story. While it looks bad, just shoot them where your rifle likes them and ignore the cannalure.

<SWAMPFOOT>
posted
DOES THE 5TH EDITION HORNADY MANUAL LIST THE SST'S IN IT ? I CURRENTLY ONLY HAVE THE 4TH EDITION AND IT DOES NOT. AT WHAT VELOCITY DO THEY RECCOMEND YOU SHOOT THE 7MM 154GR SST'S . THE 4TH RECCOMENDS THE REGULAR 154 AT 2300 TO 3200 I BELIEVE. THANKS

one of us
posted Hide Post
swampfoot, the 5th ed. has SOME of the SST'S in it. The 165 and 180 .308's are missing, the 154 .280 isn't in there either. Seems it is about 6-8 months behind the current releases.

I too ignore the cannelure for my rifles. I can't see any benifit to crimping a bullet for a bolt rifle. At least not into the cannelure. I have tried the lee factory crimp die, but I'm not sure it really helps anything.

------------------
if you run, you just die tired

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
I just purchased a box of 139 SST's for my Ruger M77 .280. My rifle won't hold any round with an OAL over 3.30- so I seat mine to 3.29 and ignore the manual recommendations. This length is seated right to cannelure- but I don't crimp them. This is my first box of SST's- I have posted load tests in the favorite load section (under 280- of course) and will be testing this new bullet this weekend. Results will be posted.

<Mikke>
posted
My 308 loads with the 150 gr SST puts the cannelure well above the case mouth. Shoots excellent that way, around 1 mm off the rifling.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Apparently, Hornady hasn't made any OAL measurements with any SSTs. I called them on the 130-gr. SST figure...3.18 I believe. It's definitely a misprint. They list the same OAL for the 130-gr. Interlock and SST...which is plain wrong. At that length, and with brass trimmed to 2.53", the cannelure completely disappears down the neck. Not very useful if you want to crimp (I don't).

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
First let me make it clear that I LOVE Hornady bullets but I have always felt that the they put the cannelures to far forward on their rifle bullets. Do you guys think that maybe it's Hornadys way of enticing us to stay off the rifling?

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote