New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it worth it to get carbite dies for 44 mag or just regular steel?

My experience with no lube carbite expander buttons for rifle is a joke still gotta lube

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of carbide dies for 9mm and 40 S&W. It seems to work just fine and is probably due to the straight wall design and shorter length of these cases when compared to rifle cases. If you are going to be shooting/reloading larger quantities of this caliber.... seems like it's worth the extra $$

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes tungsten carbide pistol dies, well worth the money, no lubing brass. Other brands are not tungsten,
Redding and Hornady are coated Titanium Nitrate.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd absolutely say get good quality CARBIDE dies for any straight wall calibre you can where this is an option. Your reloading will be so much cleaner as no messing with case lube.

Until the handgun ban in the UK I used RCBS carbide 44 Special dies (and I'd advise you too to get SPECIAL and NOT Magnum length) and there were superb.

Really...you will thank ALL who post here advising carbide dies if you get them.

And on eBay? Not that much more than a standard steel set.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy pistol dies that weren't. I haven't used any of the carbide rifle dies. They all say they still need lube. I haven't tried the carbide expanders so thanks for the heads up.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy carbide when ever I can well worth it.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that you could buy non-carbide, straight-walled pistol dies these days.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I will buy some RCBS carbide 44 mag dies after shopping, they are only about $47

I was looking at Redding they have steel along with carbide or what ever titianum carbide

I had noticed my only set of pistol dies previously are Redding .45 colt steel ones

Any more pistol dies I buy, ill get the carbide

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Lee 4 die set is $34.99 at Midway, on sale. Regular price is 39.99.

RCBS is more and the crimp die is seperate.

I've used both Lee and RCBS pistol dies with out a problem.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carbide dies are a goodness. You don't have to lubricate, but they work really smooth if you do.

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
RCBS makes tungsten carbide pistol dies, well worth the money, no lubing brass. Other brands are not tungsten,
Redding and Hornady are coated Titanium Nitrate.

Tungsten carbide (WC) is an inorganic chemical compound containing equal parts of tungsten and carbon atoms. Colloquially, tungsten carbide is often simply called carbide. In its most basic form, it is a fine gray powder, but it can be pressed and formed into shapes for use in industrial machinery, tools, abrasives, as well as jewelry. Tungsten carbide is approximately three times stiffer than steel, with a Young's modulus of approximately 550 GPa,[2] and is much denser than steel or titanium. It is comparable with corundum (α-Al2O3 or sapphire) in hardness and can only be polished and finished with abrasives of superior hardness such as silicon carbide, cubic boron nitride and diamond amongst others, in the form of powder, wheels and compounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37888 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote