Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338 win mag help requested
 Login/Join

posted
I am currently shooting 225 grain TSXs with 73 grains of IMR 4831, no chrony...how fast should these rounds be going out of a 23" barrel? Based on the Barnes X bullet load charts, Barnes shows the X bullet in this weight and with 70 grains moving at 2801 fps. Any ideas or SWAGs appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joeblow:
I am currently shooting 225 grain TSXs with 73 grains of IMR 4831, no chrony...how fast should these rounds be going out of a 23" barrel? Based on the Barnes X bullet load charts, Barnes shows the X bullet in this weight and with 70 grains moving at 2801 fps. Any ideas or SWAGs appreciated.

That's a hard question to answer, simple because not all barrels shoot equally fast or equally slow. You can have two identical rifles, and it would be extremely rare for both to shoot the same speed.

I am certain that some folks where you live have chronographs they can use to test your loads. Perhaps they won't let you use their chronographs, but at least they can test the loads for you. A chronograph is the only way to tell how fast or slow your rifle is shooting.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Well, you see, it;s like this...

Load From A Disk says the "X" bullet will be doing around 2300 FPS, and QuickLoad says around 2800 FPS...go figure.

When I was working-up loads I used IMR-4831 from 58.2 grains to 75.5 grains with a Remington 9-1/2M primer, at 75.5 I was getting around 2800.

I would say that the Barnes book is "FOS" on their "X".

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only way you will get a accurate answer is to have the loads chronographed in YOUR rifle..or buy yourself a chronograph and enjoy.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42178 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Ray is right, too many variables to even get close. SWAG, somewhere between 2750fps & 2850fps. Next time you are @ the range & you see someone using a chrono, ask if you can test your load. I have never refused a request although sometimes I ask to do the shooting.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
joeblow

In my opinion, all of the gentleman above have given you very sound advice. The only acurate way to find the exact velosity of your load is with a chronograph. I haven't reloaded for several years now, as I find new manufactured ammo to be far better than years ago. Even when I was reloading, velosities would be different if one used the same powder with a different manufacture. Chronographs are not very expensive as compared to years ago. I would suggest investing in one for your own use, that way you will always be certain of your load and velosity.

Mauser Rifle

NRA Life Member
ATA Life Member

Everyday is a great day, some are just better than others.

Mauser Rifle

Everyday is a great day, some days are just better than others!

Posts: 47 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm going to approach this from upwind.

The real way to know is to measure. But if you want to estimate you can do this yourself. You have an approximate range it should be within by referencing manuals. You can find the B.C. and S.D., then shoot a few to determine the path of flight. Knowing the trajectory, and what the BC is you can browse through the ballistic charts for that bullet and find the drop chart that most closely matches your results on target. It should be on within a few hundred fps, usually slower than the book velocities.

It's not as accurate as measuring but is probably closer than guessing which manual is your version of the truth.

When it really comes down to it, you need to stop adding powder before the pressure signs, ( or back off when you see them), then shoot enough to know where the bullets land at different distances. Animals can't tell the difference. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote