New
Find
Notify
Tools

Same load, new bullet? (338wm)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally finished working out a load for my 338 using 225 grain Hornady SP's and H4350. I would like to make a load with the same components and add the 225 grain Nosler Partition for Elk this fall. The Hornady's liked to be set 10 thousands off the lands.
Would that likely be where the NP will end up? I will also be using different Brass but the same Primer, powder and loading process.
Or is there no similarities and all loads are different? I ended up with a 1" group at 100 yards and shot one group at 200 yards yesterday just to see. Group measured 1.5" and was only .5" lower then the 100 yard group @ 2690 fps.
I'm not at max loads (69.5 grains of H4350) so would it be safe to substitute the NP for the SP's in the exact same load?
Thanks for the info.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back your load off and work up again whenever you change ANY component, including new lots of powder, brass, primers, or bullets. There are no guarentees that any two bullets (even if the same weight) will shoot to the same point of impact. Sorry. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Backing your load off is good advice. Be that as it may, I have done exactly what you want to do and not gotten into to trouble.
As for point of impact, you'll just have to try it and see.

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that my M70 also has the BOSS feature which I haven't used since I began handloading. It did allow me to shoot 10 different types and weights of factory loads all under 1" groups with very little effort. I would imagine that once loads are worked out, they may be able to be tuned even closer using the BOSS. I'll start lower w/ powder, just wondering if the seating depth would "usually" remain the same for different bullets or not.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote