New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sizing/Trimming New Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a question concerning new brass old brass any brass.
Do you resize then trim to length? or trim to length then resize?

Live Your Dreams

Posts: 89 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Thunder
posted Hide Post
When using full lengh sizing dies,( opposed to neck sizing dies ) size brass then trim to size, RCBS makes "X" sizing dies to limit and ommit triming

Posts: 18 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted Hide Post
resize then trim then tumble.

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks guys!

Live Your Dreams

Posts: 89 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not saying AAdams is wrong, but I prefer to tumble first, then FL or NS my brass, then trim. This greatly reduces the problem of stuck media in the flash hole. That can be fun to get out if you have already sized your brass then tumbled. Just my .02 worth...MH

Posts: 157 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brass moved when resizing has to go somewhere, it usually lengthens brass. Always size before you trim or you may need to do it twice......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Size then trim

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We buy our brass in bulk - several thousands at a time.

First thing we do is size them. This way we can weed out the rejects - mostly with damaged necks.

Then we trim them, de-burr the inside of the flash hole - you will be amazed at the size of brass gobs that can stick to teh inside of the flash hole. then uniform the primer pocket.

After this we weight them. This is done purely to segregate them into similar weight cases, so that each lot can be used in one rifle.

Generally, after each firing, we tumble clean them, then size and trim again.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68789 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thunder:
RCBS makes "X" sizing dies to limit and ommit triming

Except they want you to trim them all first.
Of all the boreing case prep I do trimming
is the least of my worrys.
I have a trimmer set up for each cal. and only
trim about 3thou under max. Neck sizing then
probably doesn't need doing, but a quick run thru the cutter doesn't take long and it's easy
to deburr the necks having taken little off.
But you have to size first, for sure.
The only good thing about case prep is that it
can be done anytime before the need to reload.
:-) JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote