Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of a new case trimmer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted
Since I started reloading about five or so years ago, I have been using the Lee trimers.

They work, but I have noticed that on my .223 set, the little rod is getting worn on the end, which will change the overall trim length.

I have been cotemplating an upgrade to a more "traditional" trimmer set up for some time now, and was wondering what the good folks at AR would suggest.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm new to reloading, so I may not be the best person to ask, but I have the Forster. It's like having a mini lathe. Very, very precise and smooth.

Posts: 25 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I have ever used is the RCBS standard trimmer and it works well, but my S-I-L swears by his Redding trimmer cause he doesn't have to switch shell plates for diverse case heads.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi!
just went through the same process myself - after finally re-tooling for reloading again after many years without equipment. I used to own an RCBS trim-pro case trimmer. I never had any real problem with it - but since I was starting fresh with new tools, I wanted to make sure I was getting the best equipment for my purposes. I did a lot of research before buying my trimmer, and finally decided on the L.E. Wilson trimmer along with the various Wilson case holders for the cartridges I'm going to be loading for. I honestly don't think you can find a better designed, more accurate trimmer out anywhere - and I say that after having spent quite a bit of time looking at almost every model available at local sporting goods stores and friend's reloading rooms. I almost bought the Redding, but now I'm glad I spent a little more time looking and found the Wilson. A nice bonus: It's a little less expensive than most other trimmers out there as well!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Forster for over 20 yrs, great little trimmer.

Cheers,
Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
For low volume I strongly recomend the L.E. Wilson trimmer.
For large volume it's hard to beat the Gracey trimmer.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the right choice has to do with your goals. I love my Wilson/Sinclair setup, as others mentioned, it is very precise and a great tool. It does require at least one caseholder per cartridge, often 2 (1 for new cases, 1 for fired cases). This can add a couple bucks to cost.

Running the Wilson with a cordless screwdriver is a little tricky, and doesn't really speed it up that much IMO.

I have all of em except the one I think I'll end up with, which I bought one of for a buddy, that's the RCBS trim-master powered version, I think it's the best combo of precision, convenience and speed.

I have the Giraud, and it is really great for high speed, but is dependent on consisitent shoulder positions to get consistent lengths. I use it when really tight consistent length doesn't matter that much to me. It is picky to setup, but once it is, it inside & outside chamfers simultaneously, and cuts to length relative to shoulder position VERY quickly.

All in all, if you don't need really high speed or high volume, I would probaly go with the Wilson or the RCSBS. I have an RCBS coming, but for now I typically use my Wilson.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Forster and a Redding, I prefer the Forster.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote