New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: seating to the lands
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It depends on the bullet used. Testing done at Somchem Ballistic Proof Lab showed no statistically significant change in pressure or speed with 270 cal, 110gr HV bullets loaded into the lands or up to 3mm off the lands.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
this kind of ENDS all arguements that seating to the lands DOES or Not increase pressure..

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm

Quote:

Here's a classic good load for 6PPC. The only difference between all these traces is the first 3 were seated right on the lands. The last 4 were 30 thousands of an inch off the lands. Note the substantially reduced pressure and overall reduction in energy.

for the record, I have always maintained that seating to the lands is higher pressure... and this shows a MINIMUM of a 16.6% increase in pressure

jeffe

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seating to the lands WILL increase pressure.

This is not really a bad thing, but be aware of it when seating on or into the lands.

Some bullets in some rifles respond really well to this treatment. My 300WSM likes the bullets jammed into the lands .005 ( Sierra Match King 150 GR. , or 155 Gr. Nosler Custom Comp. ) Groups are small.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reason I would seat to the lands is if I need to fireform a case or if I went off the deep end and got into BPCR.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll bite.
What's the problem. Sure though I'm a bit jaded from
all the panic merchants in the Full-Bore movement.
Seems to me if you want to seat to the lands, you
get "free" pressure. So lower the powder charge a bit!
What's the big deal??

Once, many years ago, my eyes would water when I looked
at the primers on some 220 swift loads of mine.
No worry I thought, just push the proj. back a bit.
Then a few days ago on a forum somewhere some joker
proved that seating deeper (in a 9mm Para. increased
the pressure from VERY APPX BY memory 30-40 (units) to
about 60 (same units.)
No wonder my primers were still dead flat.

Cause nowdays I'd pull them, you bet.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

OK, I'll bite.
What's the problem. Sure though I'm a bit jaded from
all the panic merchants in the Full-Bore movement.
Seems to me if you want to seat to the lands, you
get "free" pressure. So lower the powder charge a bit!
What's the big deal??

Once, many years ago, my eyes would water when I looked
at the primers on some 220 swift loads of mine.
No worry I thought, just push the proj. back a bit.
Then a few days ago on a forum somewhere some joker
proved that seating deeper (in a 9mm Para. increased
the pressure from VERY APPX BY memory 30-40 (units) to
about 60 (same units.)
No wonder my primers were still dead flat.

Cause nowdays I'd pull them, you bet.
John L.

RIGHT! I used to load .32/40 ammo for a C.Sharps 1875 to force the bullets (cast lead) into the rifling about 2mm. It made the rifle shoot alot more accurately.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It works great in 17AH. I seat them deep into the lands to get pressure due to not be able to get enough of some cuts of powder into the case. Weatherby also does this with the throat. They seat the bullet way out but keep it off the rifleing to maximize the powder capicity. Then again seat the bullet deep and make the powder cavity smaller and you get the same things. Oh well I like to just kiss the lands with most rounds. 17s like to be pushed full throttel. Seems to be where I find accuracy. Pretty much were I start. My two cents,Not that my two cents is worth that much. Great info Jeff as always. Much better than dropped 6 deer last year with a match bullet, no,no round nose are best. I can do anything with a 243 you guys can do with a 600 OVERKILL. You know bullshit posts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I seat at or close to the lands for accuracy. Bullets which are held straighter by the lands,..will leave the bore with a greater propensity to fly the same. A chrono tells when the max is being reached,..so I see no difference. Pressure is spiked by deep seating just as it is by seating to the lands. LOTS of Hotrod wildcats on the BR circuit,..and every one seated VERY close if not at or even into the lands. VLD pills often want to be scarred by the lands before they tighten up.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote