New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Powder for 75grAmax in 223?
 Login/Join

posted
G'day

First post here, I just purchased a Steyr Pro Varmint 223 with a 1:9 barrel i was wondering which powder is the most recommend for pushing the 75 Grain Amax. All my experience has been with Win 748.

Regards

KAV

Posts: 3 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I may offer a suggestion, I wouldn't try anything over 69grn in a 1:9 twist barrel. I own two 223rem one of which is a Steyr Pro Hunter same as yours. The other is a Savage with a 1:7" which will handle 75, 77 and 80grn projectiles. It has been suggested I could try 90grn proectiles but I believe 90grners need a 1:6.5 Just be careful Kav. As far as powders I'm using BM2 or AR2219 in both rifles.

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry KAv, I've mislead you! My Pro Hunter is not a "Varmint".

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No dramas. Yeah the Varmint is the heavy fluted version. I have been told that some 1:9 223's will handle the 75gr Amax and others wont. So ill give it a try and see how she goes.

Posts: 3 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.ammoguide.com lists 29 loads for 75-grain bullets, two of which are 1052 fps loads. You are probably not interested in those. Join that site; just $18 a year and it's loaded with fabulous info. I'm a member on my second scrip. I recommend it at every opportunity. I can't give you the direct loading info for liability reasons and I suppose what's on there is also copyrighted for member use only. Just join up-- you'll be glad you did...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KAV300WSM:
No dramas. Yeah the Varmint is the heavy fluted version. I have been told that some 1:9 223's will handle the 75gr Amax and others wont. So ill give it a try and see how she goes.

popcornmy Savage 9 twist handles it nicely.
;using many powders but Accurate 4064 accurately pushes the bullet to 2900 fps. 2" group at 300 yds. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best powders I have found for 223 with 1/9

Varget,RL 15 & VT540 no particular order 24gr & up.
But get the Hornadys don't run with 75gr Bergers

Posts: 38 | Location: Ottawa canada | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Specter65
posted Hide Post
In my Savage .223 1:9, I've had good results pushing the 75gr bullets with either Varget or N140. My 1:9 barrel has no problem stabilizing the 75 gr bullets and I know of others shooting 77 and 80gr from a 9" twist.

-----------------------------------------
Theology is a way for people to explain that which they don't know. Science is a way for people to say "I don't know this.... Let's figure it out!"

Posts: 15 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 23 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varget and the 75gr AMax work well in two of my 1:9 223s, not quite as well in the 16" barrel but still sub-MOA. They really shine in 1:8 barrels and 223AI 1:9 barrels.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you will probably better off with the hornady 75 grain otm rather than the amax. the amax is a bit long to stabilize in a 1:9. it think i shoot aa2520, but can't remember off hand.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people have 4895 on the shelf. You might want to give it a try. It's pretty good. Otherwise, Varget, Re15 and Viht 540 are all great powders.

Good luck with your AMAX in a 1/9"!

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I used Varget and 75 grain Amaxes for deer last year. Seat them to mag length and crush some powder!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote