New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x57 from 8mm Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just aquired a Husky in 9.3x57. No dies or brass. I was fooling around at the bench last night and decided to pull the bullet from a surplus 8mm mauser, dump the powder(flake stuff, like shot gun powder) pop the primer and open the case up to 9.3mm using a .35 and 9.3 expander. Is this the same as the 9.3x57? Looks alot like a .358 Winchester If so, Remington 8mm is a bit less expensive that Norma 9.3 brass. Bob

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
You've got it, nearly exactly..

you can fireform, using a varity of methods, the current most acceptable it to put in a couple grains of pistol powder, fill with a filler (cream of wheat) "cap" with wax or hard soap, and pop it off OUTSIDE somewhere it's legal to discharge firearms...

best of luck...

btw, 9,3 is .366, as the metric designation for .358 win is 8.8mx51m and there is a 9x57... but it's actually a .356 (356)

jeffe

Posts: 39554 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffe,
Like maybe 4 or 5 grains of something like Bullseye or green dot? Bob Mc said he had a great time shooting with you last weekend. Now he has the fever for a .376 Steyr on one of his Mex's Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought one of these rifles and was thinking the same thing. I was also wanting to use 8mm cases for the 9.3. Does anybody sell the dies sets with the changable expanders so I only have to buy one set of dies? It might be more expensive, but it is something i wanted to check. LLB

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After exhausting the net looking for loaded 9.3x57, I was astonished to find a box at a local pawn/gun shop. It is Norma 286gr silverblixt. I bullets have a plastic insert sorta like ballistic tips, but rounded. Specs are in metric but as close as I can figure, 2067fps and 2700ftlbs energy. Anyone familiar with this load? Is loaded ammo still available? Thanks, Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma still makes loaded rounds I beleave for the 286 gr. bullet. Don't have any ideal about price. Mostly more than I want to pay. They all so have loading data. LLB

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a reason why the '06 case wouldn't work. I use them to make 7.9X57's all the time. I shoot the heck out of the surplus ammo, but hunting loads are put up in Lake City N.M. brass. In fact, I load 185 grain R-P Core-lokt bullets, and they work well.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you have it reamed out to a 9.3x62? With that you can easily get factory brass and factory ammo.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote