New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tumbler Media Additives
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Vibrator tumbled a 1000 rds of .357 mag brass. I added a few oz., (probably two tablespoons) of brass polish, my wife uses around the house for brass planters, and such. I think I made a mistake. The polish musta had ammonia, or something in it. Because a coupla months later, my pretty brass is starting to show corrosion. Not deep, and I am going to vibrate it again in clean walnut hull media, and see if I can clean it up again. But what did I do wrong? What do you guys use for polish in your walnut, or corncob media, if anything? Any help will be put to good use... Thanks, Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything containing ammonia has that "distinctive" smell.

I've been using Turtle Wax "Scratch & Swirl Remover", putting an ounce or so per load in with the 1/8"-grind corncob in my Midway vibratory case cleaner. It's a very mildly abrasive polish, REALLY shines the brass, and leaves a very thin wax film which seems to slow any tarnishing tendency while cases are in storage. No ammonia, either.

I get the stuff at a Kragen auto supply store. Regular Turtle Wax works well, too.

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I use nothing buy Lyman treated walnut and corncob. Never add anything to it at all...

My brass looks just fine.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I'm more concerned with the brass being clean rather than bright and shiny. While the brass is laying atop the walnut shells I spray them with Formula 409 Orange cleaner degreaser.I was also using some Bon Ami mixed with the 409 but found that to leave the cases a little too dusty. Once in a while I use some midway polish. Once it is gone it is gone. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote