New
Find
Notify
Tools

hornady seating die
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was loading up some 204's yesterday & ended up throwing away about 1/2 of them, due to split necks. Since they had only had 2 loadings I figured there was something else wrong. Dies were hornadys (cause that;s all i could find at the time) anyway, looking at the seater, i found that there is no case support. The seating plug only supports the neck and the bullet. Now I know that in a seating side the body is not held firmly, but in this case the body can do a dance being only held by a small piece of the neck. I have the feeling that the rounds are far from being concentric, and the seating die is my problem. Any thoughts??

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also was loading some 204 yesterday. I had some remington once fired brass. Didn't have any trouble with it. I finished loading all the once fired brass I had... Then I started preping new winchester brass. I did a full length resize on the new brass. After preping I had trouble with the bullet seating process. Crushed several case with trial and error. Finally I used my rcbs 22-250 die to just slightly open the neck on the new 204 brass. It appears the Hornady die set doesn't open the neck up enough to take the flat base 32 grain v-max. I have seen other posts on here with a simular problems, only this was with factory loaded brass and the crimp appeared to be the problem. Here is my solution, I am going to purchase a new set of dies and pitch the Hornady dies at that point...Question is,which dies to purchase?

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
Hey Oneshot if you're just going to pitch those hornady dies how's about pitching them in my direction. If you don't want too much I'd buy 'em off you.

Let me know.

Tom

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, If the dies are still there in the trash, I will dig them out for you... But I am afraid it is too late... As I was so disgusted after posting I ordered RCBS dies and pitched the Hornady dies in the trash. I will let you know when I get home tomorrow. My wife is not willing to look through the trash for me....Imagine that...

beer

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote