Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Case Prep Center
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,

I have an RCBS case prep unit that I bought in the late 90's. A couple of days ago, I was helping a friend get started in reloading. He had purchased a manual chamfer/deburring unit that seemed to cut much better than my power unit.

Now my RCBS unit was bought a long time ago and was purchased right after the product was released, if I remember correctly. Has anybody upgraded the chamfering or deburring tools?

Thanks

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
could be that the cutters need sharpening

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have the original cutters but never liked them. All I use the unit for nowadays is I have a caliber specific bronze bore brush to knock carbon out of the case neck and I've added a lyman vld chamferer...it srewed out of the wood handle into the trimmer perfect.
So...I use the original cutters inside and out..then hit the vld chamferer..then hit the bronze brush which also helps knock off left over burrs.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine works great, specially since I modified my Lee trimmer cutter to work on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d81l62J1VmI

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a separate case trimmer, so I'm not really concerned about that end of things; although mounting the lee cutter is a great idea.

I just think the chamfering and deburring tools are mediocre and would like to upgrade them, if that's at all possible.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
analog_peninsula ----- I have to agree with you. I prepped 250 .358 STA cases last night, the inside case camfering tool worked great but the outside tool seemed very hard. To keep pressure enough to properly camfer the outside of the case I had to wear a glove to keep from getting a blister on my fingers. It is a new outfit, I thought it just might be dull from the factory and would consider a replacement. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be incorrect, but the inside cutter is to bevel the edge and the outside cutter is just to knock of burrs, not actually cut a chamfer. I know a lot of people expect it to cut an outside bevel, but I don't believe that's it's intended purpose.

I have the RCBS three way cutter and the instructions specifically mention not to set the outside cutter to cut, but merely to knock off burrs.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Posts: 83 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The debur tool as stated before works as designed.
However I replaced the chamfer tool with Lyman VLD chamfer tool. Unscrewed it off the handle and threaded right into the RCBS prepmate. Works like a charm! But do need to cautious it is capable of cutting too much very quickly!

muck
PS Kay9Cop
I find a slight bevel inside the neck allows smoother bullet seating.

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote