Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 264 WinMag - light bullet loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted
Okay, Let me try to clarify and expand on my original comment.

Every cartridge is designed with a specific purpose in mind. Some factors taken into consideration are the game type and size, the range, and the conditions under which that cartridge will be used.

The .264 Winchester (a favorite cartridge of mine) was one of the first, if not the first, "beanfield cartridge. It was designed for the "western hunter" who would be taking game the size of deer and antelope at "extended ranges" (300 to 500 yards). The designers decided that a 140 grain bullet would be the "ideal" for this bore and velocity. But as handloaders we often attempt to exceed the original design parameters.

I have been loading the .264 for ages. When I was in my GFPS stages (gazillion-feet-per-second) I had the pleasure of replacing the barrel several times on my .264. I have loaded bullets weighing from 77 grains to 165 grains, and have found that the original design of 140 to 142 grain bullets to be best, both in accuracy, consistency and terminal performance.

My original preferred load was:
Bullet: 140 Grain Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail
Powder: 73.0 grains of H-870
Primer: Winchester WLR
Case: Winchester
Firearm: Winchester Model 70
Velocity: 3132 FPs @ 15" from muzzle
Accuracy: 5-shot, 200-yard groups, <1.0"

When Hodgdon announced the cessation of H-870, I checked my supply and even though I still had 8 pounds I decided to find another powder.

Keeping all the above components the same, I found that for bullets between 140 and 142 grains, RL-22, from 52.0 to 59.0 grains worked best.

Now, about the choice of the .264 for 250 pound animals from 20 yards to 450 yards.

As I stated earlier, each cartridge has a specific purpose. The .264 is not suitable for a 20 yard shot at a 90 pound whitetail doe. Neither are super light or excessively heavy bullets suitable in that caliber.

Personally, I always take at least three rifles in the field with me (and my Ruger SBH). And, anyone hunting with me takes at least two. You never know when conditions may change, or your single firearm will fail to function.

I also suggest that there be an overlap in the performance of the calibers carried. If you take a .222 Remington into the field, then your second should be a .25-06 Remington. If you take a 6mm Remington into the field, your second should be a .264, if you take a .257 Roberts into the field, your second should be a .30-06. Get my drift?

There is no "one caliber does all" cartridge on the market (possibly the .30-06 is the closest).

Say you are hunting heavy cover where the average shot is 15 yards. You have your .44 Magnum rifle, or your .30-30 Winchester with you. Both ideal for these conditions. But you come across a power line clearing and at around 400 yards you see a humongous buck. Do you take the shot? Nope. The game, the range and the caliber do not meet each other's requirements.

A couple of weeks ago I was on my way to town for groceries. I spotted a really nice lone whitetail doe, around 60 yards off. The only firearm I had with me was a 9MM pistol. Now, the 9MM is a perfect personal defense caliber, at limited range, but it is not a deer at 60 yard range. If I had had either my .357 Ruger or .44 Ruger with me I would have stopped and taken the shot, probably requiring me to stop at the game processor before going to the grocery store. Since I did not have either, I did stop, but instead of shooting the animal with a firearm I shot it with my Nikon and a 500MM lens.

Several years ago I went out on a "quick hunt". The only rifle I had in the Bronco at the time was a 7MM Remington Magnum. I was going to bag a quick antelope, and the ranges had been around 250 to 400 yards (perfect for this caliber).

Quite by accident I literally stumbled across a big (300-pound plus) mule deer buck, with a 5x5 rack, at, believe it or not, 15 feet! He was just laying there, watching me...

I passed on that shot as well.

Two days later our path crossed again, this time at around 50 yards, and I was carrying a .25-06. I did not pass this shot.

I guess what I was really trying to say is that there is not a single caliber, using a light-weight bullet, that is useful on game up to 250 pounds and from 20 yards to 450 yards.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Dog: for those of us (probably 99.9% of deer hunters) who chose to go hunting with only one rifle at a time, your 264, with 125gr Partitions, will do just fine for deer from 20 to 450 yards.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Old Dog,
I looked up the load. It was the 120 Sierra and 63.5 gr of IMR 4831. My friend has used this load for everything from small Tx whitetail to Large Muledeer. I didn't have a chono at the time but, Load Tech gives around 3200 fps from a 24" barrel. As others have mentioned the 125 partition would be a good choice as well.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also think what you are asking of your 264 is well within the design. I use either 129 Hornadys or 125 Partitions with up to 62 grains of IMR4831 with great success. It should work fine for you.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ricciardelli
I am with you on this one. I need reasons for my collection. If one gun did it all, I would be lost.....

Each caliber has its sweet spot, and does it well. You can make them do more, just not as much fun.

And, I thought I was the only one who carried multiple rifles in the field...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Here you go for your 264 MAG. http://www.groovebullets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1031

This is why I love this sight! On HA or 24 Hr Campfire they will not let ou post links to any other site!

Here are some more on performance

http://www.groovebullets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1015

Enjoy!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Personally, I always take at least three rifles in the field with me (and my Ruger SBH). And, anyone hunting with me takes at least two.

Steve: Believe me, I'm happy for you to hunt any way you want to. As long as you do your best to take game cleanly (and based on what you have posted, I gotta believe that you do). But do you really ALWAYS take 3 or 4 firearms hunting with you?? Gotta be stand hunting only. I can't imagine still hunting through the brush with 3 or 4 weapons with me. Do you have a wheel barrow with a rifle rack?

What happens when you have a deer run by your stand. How do you decide which weapon to use. I'm not being critical...hunting conditions are different in different areas....just sounds like a new way of doing things to me...Thanks, Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt from a stand. And I don't hunt by sitting on top of, or inside of, a stack of hay bales.

Having a handgun on my hip is second nature to me, so it is never noticed.

I don't carry three rifles, three 'scopes and three boxes of ammo into the field. I carry two. The third is left behind "just in case".

When hunting it is not only important to have a thermos full of fresh coffee, a couple of packs of cigarettes, but to also know the area you are hunting, the habits of the "resident" game, and the ranges you are to encounter.

As I mentioned above in one of my posts, I have stumbled across game that I was not prepared to take, so I didn't.

I know that if I am hunting the Bentonite area for antelope that the weight fo the game will be about 80 to 90 pounds. I know they are fragile animals, I also know that the average range will be between 250 and 350 yards. From previous experience I also know that the 6MM Remington or the .25-06 Remington will meet all those requirements effectively and efficiently. I will take one or the other on that particular trip, depending on weather conditions. The other two will remain in the Bronco.

If I am out shooting prairie dogs, then there are 4 rifles set-up on my shooting pad. A .22 rimfire, a .22 magnum, a .22-250 and a 6mm Remington. I know that ranges to the different spots where they will show, and assign each rifle to the range the caliber can handle.

If I am hunting wild boar in some swamp, then there is only one rifle I take, the old Ruger .44 carbine (and naturally the Ruger SBH).

If I am hunting white tail in a field near Tiger Butte, and I know the range will not be much more than 115 yards, then I only take the Ruger SBH, however, a couple of miles away there are wide open spaces for white tail, for as far as the eye can see. I scope the area, calculate the range, and get out the appropriate rifle.

It is always good to have a selection...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No matter what bullet weight you pick, pick a premium bullet. This is one calibre that demands it as most 6.5 bullets were intended for use in the older military calibres at much slower velocities.

As others have mentioned, the .264 Winchester is at its best with 140 grain bullets. They give up little when compared to the 129's, and arrive with more authority. 160's have a long bearing surface, and can't be driven fast with reasonable pressures: bullets lighter than 125 grains don't have the sectional density to take big game animals.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Having a handgun on my hip is second nature to me, so it is never noticed.

I guess this is for those 20 yard deer that pop-up which a 6.5mm can't kill.

Quote:

I don't carry three rifles, three 'scopes and three boxes of ammo into the field. I carry two. The third is left behind "just in case".

As I mentioned above in one of my posts, I have stumbled across game that I was not prepared to take, so I didn't.

I guess he was too busy choosing the right rifle (or handgun) or screwing the cup back on the thermos.

Quote:

I know that if I am hunting the Bentonite area for antelope that the weight fo the game will be about 80 to 90 pounds. I know they are fragile animals, I also know that the average range will be between 250 and 350 yards. From previous experience I also know that the 6MM Remington or the .25-06 Remington will meet all those requirements effectively and efficiently. I will take one or the other on that particular trip, depending on weather conditions. The other two will remain in the Bronco.

If I am out shooting prairie dogs, then there are 4 rifles set-up on my shooting pad. A .22 rimfire, a .22 magnum, a .22-250 and a 6mm Remington. I know that ranges to the different spots where they will show, and assign each rifle to the range the caliber can handle.

If I am hunting wild boar in some swamp, then there is only one rifle I take, the old Ruger .44 carbine (and naturally the Ruger SBH).

If I am hunting white tail in a field near Tiger Butte, and I know the range will not be much more than 115 yards, then I only take the Ruger SBH, however, a couple of miles away there are wide open spaces for white tail, for as far as the eye can see. I scope the area, calculate the range, and get out the appropriate rifle.

It is always good to have a selection...

From reading all this I don't know how I got by with only a .30-06 for many years. Now I'm worried.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
PS
Quote:

If I am hunting white tail in a field near Tiger Butte, and I know the range will not be much more than 115 yards .......... a couple of miles away there are wide open spaces for white tail, for as far as the eye can see. I scope the area, calculate the range, and get out the appropriate rifle.

"get out the appropriate rifle"

Do a lot of "hunting" from your pick-up?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I had a M-70 in .264 a few years ago...yup...had a 26" barrel, CRF...the whole nine yards!!!

I dropped pronghorns like majik...and it didn't seem to make much difference what the range was.......

The problem came when I finally had to say that I could do the very same thing with my lighter, 22" barreled .270.

A guy came along and fell in love with it and offered me more than it was worth....which means he now owns it.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I had a M-70 in .264 a few years ago...yup...had a 26" barrel, CRF...the whole nine yards!!!

I dropped pronghorns like majik...and it didn't seem to make much difference what the range was.......

The problem came when I finally had to say that I could do the very same thing with my lighter, 22" barreled .270.

A guy came along and fell in love with it and offered me more than it was worth....which means he now owns it.

Sounds like you got this straight from thr Nosler #3 manual

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lilja .264 barrel with a 1 in 12 inch twist that I am thinking of making into a 264 magnum. This twist limits bullet weight to a max of 120 grains I think? Anyone have an idea what bullets would shoot well and give good performance on antelope.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
At velocities of over 2800 FPS your 1:12 barrel is good for .264 bullets between 1.004" and 1.090"

If you are going to load lower than 2800 FPS then 0.837" to 0.909".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, back to your original question. I've killed a few 400 yard deer with my .264, and have never been unsuccessful on a 25 yard shot with the same load.

I've used both 120's and 140's, and find that either will do but prefer the 140's. The compromise might be the 125 Nosler partition. For simplicity, try IMR 7828 with it.

My preference is a 140 Nosler Partition. With 140's, you need a powder AT LEAST as slow as H-870. I use a compressed load of surplus WC 872 (actually slower than H-870). Another possibility is Accurate 8700, which is supposed to be an H-870 clone. I'm hesitant to give powder weights, as chambers and barrels vary so much. I will say that most of the loads I have seen listed are a tad too hot in my particular rifle. With the very slow powders and a 26" barrel, you can match the original listed muzzle velocity of 3200 fps with a 140 grain bullet.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
With 140's 7828, RL22 H4831and RL 25 Retumbo will all get you to 3200 fps. Powders slower than H870 are not necessarily the only ones that will work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 24" Rem 700 Classic in 264 WM. Back in 1998, a guy named Benke wrote an article in Handloader magazine about the 264 Improved. In that article he also discussed the "normal" 264 and reloading for it. The powders that he mentioned are also powders mentioned in this thread....except one which he said beat out all the others...VV24N41. He was able to get 140gr bullets to 3100+ fps from a 24" Rem BDL with 75 gr of VV24N41. That said, he also said that the powder excelled with the Barnes 120gr X....this was BEFORE the XLC (coated) bullets. I, personally, think the 120 Barnes XLC bullet at about 3200+ fps out of a 24" barrel is perfect for antelope/deer. Short shots won't blow up and the bullet's BC is great for longer shots. In my Rem, 3 shots will go into less than 3/4" at 100 yds. Not many bullets are more accurate in that gun. I have taken quite a few head of game with the 6.5 Barnes bullets in my Swede and 264 WM....only one required a second shot...that due to a pulled first shot. So for light and fast in the 264....I think you should look at the 120 XLC. Clean your gun with Wipe-Out FIRST....then load the Barnes. Good luck, and Merry Christmas.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote