THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are double-base spherical powders touchy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I'm dealing with an euro double-base spherical powder, that seems to be intractable; it's similar, but slightly faster than the Ramshot Magnum and it very often gives sticky bolt lift, with different cartridges, even reducing loads by 2-3 grains. I almost always use Vith. stick single base powders that seems to me more forgiving. What are your thoughts?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it very often gives sticky bolt lift, with different cartridges, even reducing loads by 2-3 grains.

Assume you mean you'er "reducing loads by 2-3 grains" from aome book max, not a self determined max load for your own rifle/bullet/primer/charge weight of a certain lot of powder?

Whatever, if you're getting sticky bolt, back off, you're too hot no matter what any book says.

There's a reason the books say to start at suggested miniumums and only move up to book max unless you experience high pressure signs. You ARE having high prfessure signs, no matter the "reduced" charges.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
All powders have specific pressure ranges within which they are designed to burn.

My experience and studies have told me that as a broad generalization "stick powders", especially single-based stick powders, have broader pressure ranges within which they burn predictably than do spherical powders. (BTW, I do not recall offhand there being any single-based spherical powders.)

Because stick powders seem to have a wider pressure range tolerance, it follows that it is easier to deal with. One has a better chance of being inside the proper burning range than at one of the extremes with most recommended loads.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC, that's exactly what I'm experiencing; the powder is made by Clermont of Belgium and sold as SNPE Vectan SP12 (french brand). Unfortunately, I've a very limited experience with US powders, due to their VERY high prices and frequent unavailability.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:
it very often gives sticky bolt lift, with different cartridges, even reducing loads by 2-3 grains.

Assume you mean you'er "reducing loads by 2-3 grains" from aome book max, not a self determined max load for your own rifle/bullet/primer/charge weight of a certain lot of powder?

Whatever, if you're getting sticky bolt, back off, you're too hot no matter what any book says.

There's a reason the books say to start at suggested miniumums and only move up to book max unless you experience high pressure signs. You ARE having high prfessure signs, no matter the "reduced" charges.
I agree with what Jim c said. Your powder company might have bad qualilty control. If they do not blend all there batches(many) of powder into one, one lot could be hotter than another lot. I have had issues with WW296 H450 powders. http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/...02/mccord.htm#table1 AC makes a good point also. Using ww296 in 44 mag., 1/2 gr. increase caused pressure problems. In IMR rife powder, there is no jump in pressures with small increases.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildboar -

Are the Vectan TU powders available to you at bearable costs? If you are using your SP-12 in something on the order of a .264 Winchester Magnum, you might want to give TU-8000 a try instead (at least with heavy bullets). With very light bullets, you MIGHT be able to get away with TU-7000. I also suspect you could use some of the slower VihtaVouri powders.

Another possibility would be a Norma European equivalent of what they sell (sold?) to Alliant Powder Company here in the U.S. for retailing as Re-19.

Anyway, here is a handy burn chart listing some of the European options which might be more readily available to you, and which are relatively close to SP-12. Look about half-way down in the right hand column (IIRC) to find SP-12:

http://www.gswagner.com/bigrel.../powderburnrate.html

At any rate, good luck in finding something better for your specific use. Wish you lived within reach of me, I'd give you samples of several possibilities to try.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC, thanks for your hints and your kindness beer ; I almost exclusively use Viht. N1xx powders for reloading, that are excellent, reasonably priced and fairly easily available, here. As for the Vectan's, they are IMO, not as good as the Vithavuori's.
I bought that can of SP12 to do some tests with a spherical; since the results are mixed, I will probably give up soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are most welcome, Wildboar.

I think you are correct in your assessment of Vectan vs. VihtaVouri powders.

I use a lot of the Vectan tubular powders because I got a large quantity very inexpensively, but I don't think there is any series of powders in the world that is any better than those by VihtaVouri...and maybe only a very few series that are as good, everything considered.

Best wishes

AC