New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a civvy equivalent for M2 ball load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an .30-06 03A3 conversion that I just shot for the first time with TW54 surplus ball ammo and got 3/4" groups at 100yds.

The RL15-150gr Accubond loads I've just tried shot poorly. If I can take a shortcut to a hunting load by pulling down a ball round and duplicating bullet weight, seating depth, and powder I'll certainly try it.

Does anyone know what the arsenal powder in TW54 was and what are closest IMR or Hodgon equivalents?

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 47 - 48gr. IMR4895 with the 150gr Accubond. May be a little slower than M2 Ball, but the powder charge is considered a fairly standard load by MilSurp reloaders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
46 grains of 4064 might get you there also. The 4895 usually has a slightly lower pressure curve (that's a good thing).
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Got both of those on hand. I've been doing a lot of searches and IMR4895 seems to come up often. I'll see how that shoots first.

Funny though I can't seem to find out what the arsenal powder(s) for the .30 M2 was and if there is an exact canister equivalent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Capp:
Thanks. Got both of those on hand. I've been doing a lot of searches and IMR4895 seems to come up often. I'll see how that shoots first.

Funny though I can't seem to find out what the arsenal powder(s) for the .30 M2 was and if there is an exact canister equivalent.

There's mention of du Pont IMR4895 as the standard powder in WW2 M2 [Hatcher's Notebook, p. 309 & 333]. But Twin Cities Ordnance plant could have been using ball powder by '54.

Arsenal powders aren't as tightly spec'd as canister grades; so long as they can adjust the charge weight, to meet velocity and pressure spec of the loading, they're accepted.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this one really streches my memory, but 40 or so years ago I believe our standard match load for hi-power was 48 gr of 4895 and a 150 sr sierra.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
this one really streches my memory, but 40 or so years ago I believe our standard match load for hi-power was 48 gr of 4895 and a 150 sr sierra.

IMR 4895 was the tubular powder used by the Gov't in M2 Ball ammo. There was also a ball powder of similar burning rate used for M2 stuff during WWII - I think it was what became the original Hodgdon surplus Ball C, but cannot swear to this.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting to reproduce Military loads for cutting holes in paper you might want to visit Jeff Bartlett's or Hi-Tech's site and get some bulets pulled from comaparble ball loads. Last time I was on the the sites someone
(one . . . both??), also had military 30-06 brass.

Some ball powders that will work only so-so as far as I know in the 06, made more for the 7.62X51 and 5.56 rounds.

http://www.gibrass.com/

http://www.iidbs.com/hitech

http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/whatsnew.htm

May be something out there that will work for ya!!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I had visited Bartlett's site and saw mention of several arsenal powders and their uses- .30 carbine, .50 cal, etc- but no M2 /06.

As an afterthought I checked out Cartridges of the world and found a couple of duplicates, but only of the 172gr ball loads. It did seem to suggest that I need to run about 2990 with the 150gr with IMR4895 or IMR4064 to come close.

I appreciate the help, guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's shooting ball well, but not BT bullets you might want to try something like the Sierra 150 gr Spitzer with 4895 or 4064.

I have a M70 in 257 Roberts that won't shoot BT bullets worth a darn, but shoot tight clusters with the 3 different flat base bullets I've tried in it.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Actually, if you are shooting a bolt gun, i wuld say to go with a slower powder, like 4064, varget, or something slower. the 30-06 case works well with slow powders and I find that my mil-surp M1's like slower powders better, that are within the correct burning rate of course.

Anyway, TW54 ammo is loaded with cannister grade 4895 (IMR4895 is very close) with a 150 gr FMJ. The velocity is 2750 FPS 78 feet from the muzzle. I load my M2 ball loads with 47.5 gr imr4895 with a 150 gr pulled bullet. These loads are very close to a M2 ball load out of my garands.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 8 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the Army amunition manual. It lists the powder for M2 ball as being 50gr of IMR 4895. You can find the load data you need in chapter 5.

http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM43-0001-27.pdf#search='army%20ammunition%20TM']Ammo Manual

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have had good results in my o3a3 using 46 grs imr 4320 for my m2 equivilent loads with 150 nosler ballistic tip. velo about 2700 and the issue sights are spot on.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
Here is a link to the Army amunition manual. It lists the powder for M2 ball as being 50gr of IMR 4895. You can find the load data you need in chapter 5.

http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM43-0001-27.pdf#search='army%20ammunition%20TM']Ammo Manual

This is true, however, the army varied their loads depending on the batch of powder that they recieved. when they recieved a new batch of powder, they worked up and tested the load to make sure that it came within the M2 ball spec. The loading could be 48 grs or 52 grs, depending on the lot number of powder.

Commericial powder is much more consistant then the lots of powder that the army loaded. I might also add that commericial powder typically takes less to do the same job then the surplus powder. If you just load 50 gr of new 4895 in a case, under a 150 gr bullet, I doubt very highly that you will have a true M2 ball spec load.

I have found that 47.5 gr of new 4895, under a 150 gr bullet, is the M2 ball equivelent, out of my garands.

When ever you get a new 8 lbs jug of powder, I suggest that you re-work up your load to make sure that it is consistant with your prievious jug.

Frankly, I would just buy a 8 lbs jug and work up a load. You might find that your rifle likes something else a bit better.

Posts: 8 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote