Find
Notify
Tools

RE 33 & .338 Lap. Mag. ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted
Hello all, I have been loading for my .338 Lapua Magnum for a couple of years now it is a savage 111 Long range hunter 26" 1-9.25 twist I love it. I am working on shooting it accurately at a mile (this will take some time). I have worked up a load using IMR 7828 I am getting consistent 4 shot groups of 1.268 at 300 yards I know this will spread out with distance (work in progress) the 7828 is not filling the case up like I would like and I would like to get some more velocity, Has anyone been using the Alliant 33? I see that it takes more powder and I would like to get some input about the powder (pros or cons) before I buy and start working up with a new powder. Thanks in advance.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Well, Alliant makes RL-33 specifically for the 338 Lapua, so it should be a good one. I'm starting to play with this power in the .264 WM using heavies, and yes, it gives good loading density.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

Ray Fryar, I use a maximum recommended charge (98.0 Grains with with various 250Grain Bullets) of ADI AR-2217 in my Rem 700 .338 Lap Mag. This same powder, is marketed in the US by Hogdon as H1000.
With Lapua Cases, CCI 250 Mag Primers and the 26" Remington factory barrel, I get a SAFE 3000fps, with great accuracy and case life, from this combination!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote