Find
Notify
Tools

starting point for first load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
I've got all my gear and components, and I'm ready to get started!
I'm loading for .308win.
I have the Speer reloading manual.
The manual lists loads using Winchester brass, but all the brass I have is Federal and Lapua. Is that a problem? Do I need to back off the listed minimum?

Also, I have a box of 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, but no load data for them. Can someone suggest a safe range for IMR 4064? (43-47 grains perhaps?) I'd like to use CCI primers and Lapua brass. I'm planning on this for a deer load this year.

TIA,
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be fine starting off with the minimum charges, regardless of case manufacturer. Work up carefully and watch for pressure signs. I'm assuming that you have read a couple of good manuals? If not, do that before you go any further.

The reloading manuals should give you a starting point and maximum for the 150gr bullets

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Jim,
First let me say welcome aboard, glad to have you with us. AccuLoad lists the following for your .308 Win. using the 150gn Nosler BT
Start 40.6gns IMR 4064 will give you 2685MV and 2400ME (89% case capacity)
Chamber pressure for the above load is 52,600PSI (Max is 62,000)

Caution level is: 44.5gns IMR 4064 gives 2805MV and 2625ME (98% case cap) and chamber pressure at 60,525PSI (Max is 62,000)

The above information is based on a 26 inch barrel.

Cartridges Of The World lists 45gns of 4064 but does not break it down by bullet type etc.

Jim I don't know what level you are at in reloading, but numerous items come into play when you put a bullet together. An item as simple as how you set your crimp can increase your pressures so start at the low end and work your way up. You might find your rifle just happens to like a mild load, mid range load, or it might lean to the hot side but by all means get there slowly.

Hope the above will be of help, again welcome to AR, and God bless you and yours. cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rikki is right work your way up in say .5g loads at a time and see which one groups the best.remember you are after the best group because an animal can't tell the difference between being hit with a 2600 fps bullet and a 2900 fps bullet.best of luck thumb

Posts: 65 | Location: South Taranaki,New Zealand | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yiminy,

Welcome aboard and good luck with your initial .308 Win. loads! Reading a mannual or two is a great way to start off. You've already received some solid advice above.

I don't own a .308 Win. but do load ammunition for two friends who use this cartridge.

Your Federal & Lapua brass are considered top notch component parts for building good, quality ammunition. You ought to expext good case life and solid results with them - they're just fine.

Listed minimum's area good starting place for a novice but there won't be anything to be gained by backing off from those levels - actually, you may get into issues using too little of some types of powder, just stick with recommended levels as a start.

I load the 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and Remington 150 gr. Bronze Points for my buddies and they are both extremely happy with the accuracy & performance of the ammo provided. The BT's are a very accurate bullet in this cartidge IMO and are proven Deer Killers for my Buddies too.

IMR-4064, IMR-3031, IMR 4320, H-4895, H322, BLC-2, IMR-4895, WW-760, WW-748, VV-N-140, are all good powders, too - there are many other favorites and you really cannot screw up the .308 Win. if you stay in the so-called Medium powder range - it's just a fantastic, accurate, light recoiling cartridge that's big on game taking performance & fun to shoot! Your 43.0 - 47.0 gr. range should get you started jsut fine; start of course with the 43.0 gr. load and work your way up .5 gr. at a time.

Have Fun!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help!
Quick question - at 43.5 grains (4064), the powder is already near the neck of the case. Is this just a bulky powder? Manual lists full charge at 47 grains. How full can that be?

Thanks,
Jim

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Hi Yiminy,
Accuload lists 45.2 gns as 100% case capacity so after that you are compressing loads. The data I sent you EARLY!!! Eeker this morning reflects the % of case used. I realize that Speer, Hornady and Sierra all list at or about 47gn's as top end, but as jimmy.308 so adequately puts it, (and I am using poetic license) "Dead is dead" how fast do you need to go?? Find what shoots best in your rifle and stick with it. If you have already started the 43.5 gn loads give them a try you might be exactly where your rifle likes to be. Take care and God bless. cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yiminy,
I plugged 22" barrel length into Load From a Disk. Results:

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
IMR lists data for this bullet and 4064.

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/308win-2005apr03.php

I have had good results with this combination. At 43 grains of IMR 4064, it is filled to the higher shoulder/lower neck area also for me. Start at the minimum and work up.

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help, Gentlemen.

I'm headed to the range today for some testing.