Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgon Hybrid 100V?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody tried it?

Posts: 1057 | Location: Washngton State | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's what I'm talking about....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

HYBRID 100V™
This excellent new product is the result of combining the technologies of spherical powders and extruded propellants. The chemistry of a spherical powder is combined with the geometry of an extruded propellant, creating a smooth-metering, super short granule extruded shaped propellant with high energy. HYBRID 100V has a burn speed between H4350 and H4831, yeilding superb performance in such popular calibers as 270 Winchester, 243 Winchester Super Short Magnum, 7mm Remington Magnum, 300 Winchester Magnum and dozens more.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1057 | Location: Washngton State | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buff

I am currently loading some 6.5x55 nosler 120gr Btips with it. I think I need to get closer to the max load data and see if I can get better groups. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fasteel,

I saw some of the data on their website. I think I'd like to give it a try too.

Let us know how it works out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did some preliminary loading with it a while back this year. I purchased a used Sako which had shown promise with factory loads so figured I would work up a 100gr load for deer season.

I had a decent supply of the 100gr Nosler Solid Base and have used it for years even though they quit making it, it is still an awesome bullet.

I started out using new cases and Win-WLR primers. My work up is simple, I premeasure he start and top end loads on my Uniflow measure, then simply use the calibrated stem to record my loads as I work up. I set up the chrono and move up the powder charge 1/4 turn at a time until I see pressure signs. Might not be as anal as some, but it works for me.

The target below is the result. I wished the weights were clearer, but more or less I worked up to just about the top loads listed on the Hodgdon sight. I was looking for 3100fps from this rifle and was not disappointed.

The bottom two spots were the final groups. I know there are flyer's, but the barrel needs a little relieving, but it only starts to walk on the 4th consecutive shot. As you can see it works fine for the first three.

The two spots on the far right are using factory loads to check velocities, and the bottom right was used for fouling shots after cleaning. Those loads were simply some I needed to get rid of and served the purpose well.

Overall, I am pretty impressed with the powder, at least in this caliber. I have two other .243's which I want to use it in as well as a couple of others which hopefully it will fit for my purposes. I love the way it meters and thrown charges were close enough I couldn't see any differences from one to the next.

My standard primers is usually the Win-WLR for about 95% of my loads, but I did try the CCI-Br2 as well and it actually gave a bit closer SD.

Like I said I am looking forward to working with it again soon, but other things have taken precedence lately.

Good luck with your loads as well and be sure to post up something on what you think of it as well.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buff:

HYBRID 100V™
This excellent new product is the result of combining the technologies of spherical powders and extruded propellants. The chemistry of a spherical powder is combined with the geometry of an extruded propellant

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Serious question from a relative newcomer to reloading... isn't this the worst of both worlds? Spherical = temperature sensitivity & extruded = poor metering

Wouldn't the ultimate powder have the geometry of a spherical and the chemistry of an extruded?

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your info Mike.

And mrjulian: You could be right although I personally don't worry too much about metering. I'm a low production, high quality reloader- I adjust my powder thrower for a charge that's close and trickle each load up to spec.
This hybrid does look impressive on paper. I was looking it for 300WSM & 270Win. Both showed good speed. The proof is in the pudding--we'll see....

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrjulian_1970:
Wouldn't the ultimate powder have the geometry of a spherical and the chemistry of an extruded?

no. the spherical geometry is naturally a regressive burn rate, the opposite of what we want. extruded offers less-regressive, or even neutral burn rate geometry.

I'm not sure why hybrid is different than some of the reloder series of powders, which have NG in them (like spherical powders) but are not spherical.

to get around the spherical geometry burn rete problem, the chemistry is changed by adding flame retardants.