New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 8208 powder.......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any serious benchrest shooters setting records with Hogdon's (IMR 8208)?? r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a "ME TOO" version of Benchmark or H 322 and RL 10...

at the price of powder these days, I don't have a real motivation to try it out.

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new formulation of IMR 8028 (XBR) is too new to be setting records yet. You can read some posts concerning tests with it on benchrest.com or in Precision Shooting magazine and I believe on 6mmbr.com.

I'm guessing that since you are asking here, you are not a "serious benchrest" shooter, in which case the powder would not likely make a lot of difference in your cartridges. I would not use it myself in most of what I load outside my BR cartridges.

As far as I have seen in the posts and articles, the powder either does or does not meter well. This is a characteristic that BR shooters who load on the tailgate are much concerned about. According to Hodgon's website the powder develops a better muzzle velocity in my preferred Long range BR cartridge at a slightly reduced pressure. But N-135 does the same thing.

Lester Bruno thinks he will have stock in the next couple of months--if you are like me and just HAVE to experiment, he will be glad to add you to the backorder list. Be advised: it is a long (for a mainly used by BR shooters component)list.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote