New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load info for .357 Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Considering a couple of new loads for my 6" S&W 586 and just wondering if anyone else has tried these loads in their guns and what type of success you have had with them.

Bullet 125 gr Hornady XTP
O.A.L. 1.590"
Powder Options:
HS6 9.8 gr.
W231 7.3 gr.
Titegroup 6.8 gr.

Posts: 262 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i like to use powders like 110, 296, & #9

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Vines

Where are you in my great state of SC?????? I am afraid, no let me rephrase that, I am extremely concerned that I may know you?

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm not big on uberfast or even fast powders at magnum pressure. Too many reason for a KB.
I like 2400 & H110/W296 for max effort 357mag loads. Unique under a 125grJHP is no slouch either.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael. GREENWOOD.S.C.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a few months old Taurus 357 mag that will not eject the brass and gets all jammed up if I load 231 and light bullets. That is at less than 357 mag max book loads.

The tool marks in the chamber are giving too much traction to the brass.

I have to load it with heavier bullets.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Of the three powders you inquired of I've only used 231, however that was only in .38 Spl and some .45 ACP loads. All with favorable results.

My favorites for the .357 have been 296 and 2400.

For over 25 years I had some very good loads using Blue Dot with 125's up to 160's in a Ruger Security-Six 4" and more recently in a couple New England Handi Rifle's. However, Alliant recently issued a "DO NOT USE" bulletin for Blue Dot using 125's in the .357.

Smiler

Posts: 18 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 22 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All my .357s and the .41 Mag all love H110.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Vines

Thank God! You are not the "Vines" I know here in MB! Nice to meet you! I was a little concerned for a bit! I can't imagine the "Vines" I know giving out any sort of advice on handloading anything! However, the name and also in SC had me worried for a bit, but from some of the things you have written I did not think it was my "vines" much to my relief and much to the benefit of all here on AR! heh heh!

Anyway, carry on and thanks. Sorry guys not trying to hi jack this thread, just had to know for all of us! The Vines I know is a $&*^#, well take it from there, he would be better posting on a "fruit and nuts" forum!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote