Find
Notify
Tools

Ultimate case trimmer ??
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I have plans to get a new case trimmer since the one I have is not up to the task [Mad]

I want a trimmer that can handle cany case from 223 rem to the big nitro calibers like 470, 45, 416 rigby [Big Grin]

What shall I get, Is there any trimmer that would fit them bill? [Roll Eyes]

My RCBS is not perfect since is a bit short Don't be shy [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

<Savage 99>
posted
Forster makes one that will handle longer rounds. I am not sure of the diameters.

I have used a Foster for a long time and it's a good trimmer.

The neck turning attachment works well on them as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put my vote in for Forster. You may have too buy an X-long base for those biggies, but it will do it all, including neck turning. I have been using one for almost 35 years now, and just bought a second one so I didn't have to tear down the neck turning attachment all the time. I bought one on e-bay, all parts are replaceable so used, if the price is right, is good deal.

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count my vote for Forster, also.

Mine is the standard size base. I use it for everything up to 416 Rem mag. 32 years of use and never even had the cutter resharpened! ...Although I think the factory only charges $8.00

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ultimate? Better bring your check book. This puppy is for sale, and they say it will do anything from 20mm to 223:

http://www.rvow.com/case_trim.htm

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
mikea

Your an evil man. Now, I Have to get a suitable building to house my new hobby factory [Big Grin] [Razz]

I guess these are yours that has become the left over after you wife spotted you [Big Grin] [Eek!]

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I happily use a Forster for my trimmer. But, if you're talking ultimate, you may want to look at the Wilson trimmer w/Micrometer.

Sinclair is a source:

www.sinclairintl.com

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
Gentlemen

I have plans to get a new case trimmer since the one I have is not up to the task [Mad]

I use a Unimat lathe. They're more expensive than a case trimmer but are useful for other things besides case trimming.

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I Use the LE Wilson, it is simple the best ...
You can order it at Sinclair International

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

What you are not saying is, I want it for high volume work or I want the most accurate. There are power trimmers like Girard (sp?) and Gracey as well as power options for the RCBS and others. Define what the ultimate goal is, establish the money you are willing to invest to get there and then begin your shopping. The goal and/or the money will possibly eliminate some so you don't waste your time.

I've used the Forster for some time and eventually modified it for use with a variable speed drill because I got tired turning by hand for high volume. But recently I also discovered that my old Lee hand trimmer (.308) could be chucked into my drill press and set to 250 RPM I was able to trim them faster than the Forster. It also worked great for primer pocket uniforming as well.

So I'll revise my list and say Goal, Money & Resources.

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Abe Normal>
posted