Find
Notify
Tools

Magpro in WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any loads or experiences using
Magpro in 300WSM? Ihave never tried it,but the guys at the local gun store are really pushing it as great for the short mags.

Posts: 121 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well they should.

I started using it 5 years ago for 85gr Barnes X bullets in my 25-06 Rem. The highest speed with the best accuracy of all the many powders I tested.

Same with my 300WSM, although I've only begun testing this cartridge. I'd heartily recommend.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
75.5 gr. with 180's and 79 gr. with 150 tsx Barnes. Federal 215's. Work up to this and use a drop tube.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with Magpro in my 300WSM in 2005. You will almost always have a compressed charge. In load development I had a few toward the end I could hear the powder compress (crunch).

IIRC, Magnum primers worked the best for compressed ball powders, especially in the cold.

I would think a drop tube would have helped things alot.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magpro is the standard for the WSM's. Nothing came close to it in both accuracy and velocity in my 270WSM. I worked very well in my 300WSM, too, but I settled on RL-19 and the 168grn TSX due to a little bit better ES numbers.

I found that the short mags are not difficult to find an accurate load. Any of the 4350 class and slower will suffice. The main thing to remember on the short fat case is to bump the shoulder back .001-.002" when sizing. This will eliminate the difficulty in closing the bolt over a chambered round.

Let us know what load you try and how it works out. What bullet are you wanting to use?

What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public.

Posts: 94 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear Kodak, I am working with 150gr. TSX's now. Maybe going to work with 165gr. bullets later.

Posts: 121 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would start with RL-19 for the 150's and Magpro for the 165's, though both should work just fine.

The Magpro loads will be compressed, so don't let that worry your load development.

What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public.

Posts: 94 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote