New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-sizing. How often?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I am shooting all my reloads through the same rifle should I re-size my cases ever time that I reload?

Thanks,

JDG

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Yes, if done correctly. Bushing dies are better. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...pace_and_Maximum_COL

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may or may not have to body size or push the shoulder back, but you always have to at least neck size.

I rarely have to push the shoulder back when loading for the same rifle, even with full house loads.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your resizing is careful you can FL resize everytime.
But if you are looking for best case life a mild anneal every 4 to 5 resizings will insure the case necks do not crack.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes you have to resize every reload.

BUT - the kind of resizing depends on how hot your loads are and for what purpose you are reloading.

For just normal hunting bullets, you can set a FL die to just touch the shoulder so that you have the correct head space each time and have accurate ammo.

Also suggest you get a Hornady Headspace gauge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-UrMTyJ1_E. This will give you precision every time you reload and take out any guess work.

If you are using hot max loads, you might need to neck turn the cases or discard them after about 5 or 6 reloads.

The best piece of advise I got was to read the Lyman manual - the chapters - at least twice and just stick to one manual for the first year of reloading.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For hunting loads I always full length resize. For target shooting I neck size 3 times and then full length again. For cases received from other hunting friends I always full length resize.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:
If I am shooting all my reloads through the same rifle should I re-size my cases ever time that I reload?

Thanks,

JDG

This very much depends on a number of factors. First, unless you have a specially chambered target gun with a zero-clearance neck, then you will always need to resize the neck of a case in order for it to be able to grip the bullet.

In terms of resizing the remainder of the case, if you are shooting a front-locking modern bolt action rifle and using loads which don't generate pressures beyond the yield strength of the head of the cartridge, then you can size only the neck and leave the body untouched. This can be done by backing a conventional sizing die off a portion of a turn, or by using any of a variety of dies which are designed to size only the neck.

If you are shooting an autoloader or a rifle with a "springy" action like a rear-locking lever action, then you will likely need to "full length resize", meaning that since the action allows the cartridge case to expand to a greater length than the normal chamber then the case must be returned to shorter dimensions in order for it to be rechambered without excessive force on the next loading.

Shorthand: Neck size for most bolt actions; FLS for most autos and levers. Let the resistance to rechambering a spent cartridge (or lack thereof) be your guide.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote