Find
Notify
Tools

Federal 223 brass for reforming to TCUs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Sorry for the cross post, but I had planned to "load up" a supply for season this weekend.

I had a chance to get my hands on a bunch of 223 Federal Gold Medal brass and thought I would be happy to get brass that should be very consistent. The person who gave it to me said it was NOT a problem since the brass is so soft that most HP competitors did not want it anyway. [Frown]

Am I going to be disappointed with it as starting brass in the 6.5 and 7mm TCU? [Confused]

I have been using treated military brass with acceptable results, just though I might gain a bit with the "civilian" stuff.

What ae your thoughts?

LouisB

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
T., I would not use Federal brass especially .223

There are many reported Kabooms with reloaded Federal brass in AR's.

I believe there is a thread about this at www.ar15.com

<Paul Dustin>
posted
TCLouis I use LC brass for my 7mm TCU I try 223 Federal brass and it would not hold up for me. With the LC brass I get 2356fps from my 12" Bellm BBL using a 120gr Nosler BT and RE-7. In my 6mm TCU I use Winchester brass the 6mm TCU did not like the LC brass

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
[Eek!] Guys - You're scaring me [Eek!] I've been using Fed. Gold Medal Match brass in my 223's and 7 TCU for quite a while with NO problems.

TC - If you can get your hands on a bunch of it and you don't want to use it, e-mail me and I'll buy it from you (for a reasonable sum, of course [Smile] ).

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I quit using military brass for 6X45mm because of head separations, now use only commercial brass. The last few years I've used nickel-plated Winchester to color-code them, so I don't mix one up with .223 for the Mini-14. I have not shot many of them lately so can't speak for their longevity.

Tom

Posts: 14603 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote