Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Reloading System?
 Login/Join

posted
I want to purchase a reloading press. I had a Lee 1000 Pro. I lost this system to unfortunate circumstances; however, I was not that impressed with the system.

I own a 30-06 and a 45ACP. My son owns a .270 Winchester. I also have a shot gun but this will not figure into my decision on which reloading press to purchase.

I have looked at Dillon and Redding and the others but there are not many reviews on reloading equipment.

I am not on a tight budget, but $1,000 will be over the limit on what I am going to spend.

I like the idea of a progressive press, but I do not know if I need that for my '06.

So, help me out gentlmen.

Posts: 2 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
DeeSr,

Do you have an estimate on how many cartridges you will reload at one time? I use a RCBS Rockchucker for almost all of my rifle cartridge reloading, and the manual presses are fine up to about 60 cartridges in one go.

For me the progressive press is useful for making hundreds of reloads.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DeeSr
I am very happy with my Dillon 550 for rifle and pistol volume loading.With those three cartridges you will be able to change in less than a minute which is very convenient.
I have owned or tried every brand I have seen.
If however you are looking at maximum accuracy (sub-moa) the Bonanza Co-ax makes more sense.
Guy

Posts: 73 | Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you aren't cranking out big volume, the co-ax is the single stage press to get. It is much faster to change over dies and shellholders then the conventional single stage presses. I load 38/357, 480, 6.5X55, .308, and 350 Rigby on mine, as well as many other calibers in the past. The only reason I have a rockchucker is the 500 Jeffrey dies won't fit in the co-ax.

I shoot on average 100 rds a week. If I was shooting several hundred rounds of pistol ammo a week, I'd definately go with a progressive.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DeeSr,
Depending on what part of Oregon you are in,you would be welcome to come over to my place and check out the Dillon,RCBS Piggyback III,and several other setups to see what may work for you.
I have a fairly extensive reloading setup.
I am in Gresham.
Z

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote