Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 WSSM Case exspansion ring??
 Login/Join

posted
Question for you WSSM owners. I just recently got into hand loading & picked the 243 wssm for my first victum, so I don't know much about this but a friend pointed out the fact that my resized brass has a very defined ring around the case that is just above the base. You can't feel the ring but is is definatly noticeable. He feels that there is a major problem with the brass/die combo or a problem with how my rifle is chambered. I have also found that the brass expands by .010 (max increase in diameter measured close to the base) What are the thoughts of you forum experts? Is this normal for a wssm? Should I be concerned?

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 1 | Location: Cheney, WA | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only have once fired brass from 243 wssm and new winchester brass. New gun win. mod 70 stainless classic and have only fired tame loads so far but both the new and once fired measure the same close to the base of the cartidge.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too many things could be involved to diagnose over the net. I suggest you take the brass and rifle to a compent gunsmith for evaluation.
Yea it may cost a couple bucks. But what is the rifle worth. How much does a visit to the local ER cost? Your choice

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If I understand this correctly. The case is swelling .010 larger in diameter, compared to an unfired case, just ahead of the extractor groove. If this is right, No it is not Normal and be Very Concerned! You are way overpressure!!

Typically some people measure the fired brass on the unsupported part of the case which is just ahead of the extractor groove. If this diameter grows much more than .001" or .002" in diameter you are probably overpressure. This isn't the most accurate way to measure pressure, but it will tell you where you are in relationship to case failure. Also, another sign is if you start getting a ring on your bolt face around the primer.

WSSM brass is thicker than most other brass. So the unsupported portion of the case is barely containing the pressure and not blowing out like most other chamberings would.

Back off on your loads to the minimums, and make sure the bullet isn't seated into the lands. Fire a few and see if the problem goes away which I think it will.

Posts: 13 | Location: Ridgefield, WA | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by extreme31:
... my resized brass has a very defined ring around the case that is just above the base.
This is typical on all of my rifles and is called the Pressure Ring(PR). It occurs where the Thick portion of the Case Head "tapers" into the Case Wall. If you have a Speer Manual, let me know which one you have and I might be able to direct you to a page that shows it clearly in a Sectioned View.

The PR is approximately 1/8th" above the edge of the Extraction Groove on a Non-Belted Case and about 3/32nds" ahead of the Upper Belt Edge on a Belted Case. It is caused by the Walls of the Full Length Resizing Die "Burnishing" the PR as the Die pushes the Case Wall(at that point) back into a slightly smaller diameter.

quote:
You can't feel the ring but is is definatly noticeable. He feels that there is a major problem with the brass/die combo or a problem with how my rifle is chambered.
There could be, but so far it sounds normal to me. Nothing wrong with having a GunSmith look at it as the others have mentioned though.

quote:
I have also found that the brass expands by .010 (max increase in diameter measured close to the base) ...Is this normal for a wssm? Should I be concerned? ...
It sounds like you used a 0.001" capable Caliper to do the measuring. It really needs to be measured with a 0.0001" capable Micrometer because the Caliper just isn't accurate enough.
-----

Do you have any Factory Ammo? If so, compare the same point on the case using a once-fired and NOT RESIZED Factory Case to the same point on one of your fired-reloads that has NOT been RESIZED and tell us what you measured. You need to rotate the PR between the anvils of the 0.0001" capable Micrometer and go with the "widest" diameter for your comparison without forcing the diameter to change.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote