Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Corelokts
 Login/Join

posted
I need some advice. I am curious to the accuracy potential of Remington Corelokts (standard ones). I have had excellent luck with 130 grainers in a 270 Win (a Savage 110--excellent luck being accuracy, around 3/4 inch groups, and game-taking abilities--that game being whitetails) but have had miserable luck with 180's in an '06 (also a Savage 110). What I am wondering is: did I get a bad bunch of bullets (I like to buy the 500 bulk packs thru Midway) or does my rifle simply not like 180's? Right now the best I am getting is about 3 inches. It (the 30-06) shoots extremely well with Sierra 150's and Nosler 165 gr BT's (all groups around or under an inch). I haven't tried any other 180 grainers yet but wanted to get the thoughts of more experince before I buy some other brand 180's. The reason I ask is that I want to be able to shoot the heavier slugs in the '06. From IMR I have tried 4350, 4064. 4831 powders, from Hogdon I have used H4350, H4831SC, and H414, and from Alliant, I have used RE15, RE19, and RE22. I can't get anywhere near the groups that I can with the other bullets with ANY powder. I am not trying to sound cheap, but on my budget (military), the ability to buy 500 bullets for around $40 is very appealing to me because it allows me more practice time that I simply can't afford shooting other brands. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Posts: 6 | Location: Ft Drum, NY | Registered: 18 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
If you've tried all those powders and still cannot get a good group, I'd say you gun does not like 180 bullets and/or does not like the 180 REMINGTON CORELOKT.

If you want to try some 180 Ballistic tips, I've got plenty on the shelf I'll likely never use. Can make you a good deal even with shipping. I'm sure I have at least 500, maybe double that.

PM me if you are interested.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a teacher and agree with you on saving money. You'll never convince me that a whitetail deer or feral hog needs a 'premium' bullet. I use 150 Power Points in my 308 and just bought a box of 180s to try in my 30-06. So far they are very satisfactory and about the same price as coreloks. BTW, have you tried Milsurp. It shoots to same point of aim in my 308 as my H/Ls and close in my 30-06. You can get it for $.20-25 apiece or so. That's about what it cost to reload and lots easier. My $.02, capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Top, I've gotten a number of 1" groups at 200 meters with 175-grain Corelokts in my 7mm Remington Magnum Ruger No. 1B, and this with a load that produced 3070 FPS @ 10' from the muzzle!

Sadly, the powder which produced these results is long off the market (Norma N205). I have been able to nearly duplicate the velocity, but not the accuracy, using IMR 7828. But it comes close accuracy-wise, also.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, the plain old-style Corelokts are pretty good performers on game up to elk and moose-size critters. I have also had good luck with the 125-grain PSPCL's that Remington used to make for the .280. I use them in my 7X57, and get near-.270 Win. performance out of them in a 22" barrel (3100 FPS).

Your rifle may just not like those .308" 180 CL's. I prefer 200 grain bullets in .30 caliber for anything bigger than deer, and use 150's for deer.