New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need an AR10 load
 Login/Join

<JTD>
posted
I just got an AR10A4 and I'm starting to work up a load for it. Does anyone have a pet load for their AR10?

one of us
posted Hide Post
JTD--welcome to the boards!

I've had the Eagle Arms version for about 18 months now, and it shoots just about everything the same: 5 shot groups in 1 to 1.25" at 100 yds. I will look up my loads when I get home today, but am using H4895 with both Hornady 165 bullets and 110 grain VMAXs in milsurp brass.

I do frequently get a 4+1 kind of group, with 4 clumped really close together, and either the first or last round falling out of the group.

Steve

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
IMHO one mans "pet" can be another mans "problem" The best thing to do is to select a bullet you would like to shoot, a powder with a good reputation in the 308- 748WW-RL15-Varget- to name a couple, start with a midrange load- prep your brass(trim, flashhole, primer pocket etc.) Go to the range and compare- not only will you find your own "Pet" load, but you will become familiar with your rifle and its own little likes and dislikes (does it like to be held tight, or free recoil etc.)
www.duanesguns.com

[ 06-05-2002, 17:32: Message edited by: DuaneinND ]

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Hi JTD

I had one of the first AR-10T's (ser# 56) some years back. Stompin' accurate but downright weird in its eating habits!

It liked Lake City M118 ball as well as anything I could assemble and shot that crummy 173 better than any of my Quantico-built M1A's. My best loads used WC-852M powder (close to H380) but if you fed it ANYTHING containing IMR 4064, it shed primers. Weird. It was indifferent about 3031 and 4895 loads and mangled brass pretty bad, too.

When fed what it liked, it shot ten-shot groups around a half-inch, or slightly larger. Off a bipod it was great fun to mow down a bank of bowling pins at 500 yards! Yup, one I wish I'd kept.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote