Find
Notify
Tools

R/L 10 with the 308 Winchester?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted
Has anyone out there tried R/L 10 in the 308 Winchester ? I used R/L 12 in the 308 prior to Alliant taking it off the market. I'm just wondering how close R/L 10 is to the older R/L 12? Any info would be appreciated
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I believe RL-10 is closer to RL-7 than RL-12.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the statement made by Steve. RL 10 is just slightly slower than RL 7. Considerably faster than RL 12 was. Personally was upset that Alliant decided to drop RL 12 since both my 222's shot the 50 grainers well with that number. Oh, well, other powders are as good anyway. Regards, Eagleye

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the input. I was hoping that R/L 10 would be able to be utilized in my 308 instead of R/L 12. It sounds like that it isn't the case.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Rich -
Saw some data for R10 in a magazine article (Shooting Times?) lately. There were some loads for the 308, but, I think the heaviest bullet they showed was 155 grain. Not positive on that, though (it's heck getting old). The powder is definitely closer to R7 than R12, based on the load data.

If you're interested in load data for R10 in the 308, Alliant is pretty good about getting back to you - the contact guy is Ben Amonette, e-mail add'y Ben.Amonette@ATK.COM.

Definitely a bummer about R12. My 223's and 308's loved the stuff. Fortunately, I was able to lay in a good stock of it. Just have to ration it, I guess.

R-WEST

[ 10-22-2002, 16:59: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
R-West
Thanks for the info. I've got about 1/3 of a pound left. I'm going to have to start working up a loads with something to replace my 308 Load. I don't shoot a lot of 308's. I just have to decide what to try in place of R/L 12.
Rich Jake

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Talked to the guys at Alliant, and, got the following:

1st - about what R10 loads to use in the 308 with 150/165 grainers:
quote:
We do not have any data for 10x with bullets of this wt. We did test 10x with 110 and 130 gr bullets. Have you considered using RL 15?
Then, I asked why they discontinued R12:
quote:
The last of the RL's to be made here were RL 7 and 12. We asked the maker of our RL 15, 19, 22 and 25 to make 7 and 12 for us. They were successful in matching our RL 7 but not 12. They tried again and still couldn't match it exactly. We decided to discontinue it rather than make it here. It was too difficult for us to switch our line over to run this type of powder. Thanks for your interest in contacting us and let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a nice day.
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got caught up in the RL-12 deal myself and had several loads worked up for it when they quit making it. I contacted Sierra at the time and they suggested that I use RL-15. I have had good results with it loading Sierra 168 grain match and Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tips in my 308's.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote