Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 remington magnum
 Login/Join

posted
I recently acquired a Remington 660 in .350 magnum. I'm looking for advise regarding reloading for it. Because of the short overall lenght of the action, some of the newer bullets in heavier weights (225 - 250 gr) are overlong or have to be seated pretty deeply. This is particulary true of bullets without a complete lead core and sharply pointed designs. I've seen an article on Norma Oryx bullets, but can't find them in this (.358) caliber. I'd appreciate any help including specific loads from anyone who's experienced with this cartridge as well as general experience with it.

Posts: 14 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
This cartridge is almost identical to the 35 Whelen. It has the same case capacity within a two grains of water and has virtually identical ballastics. Actually, the 35 Whelen is loaded to a bit lower pressure.

I suggest you simply use either 350 Rem Mag loading data or use 35 Whelen data and work up from the starting load. It is an excellent cartridge and well suited for hunting.

Nosler makes some very good 35 cal bullets, so does Speer, Sierra, Barnes, Swift, and Woodleigh. Stick with RN bullets and you won't have a problem with seating depth and losing powder space.

I don't think you will have a problem with finding good bullets. Medium speed powders work best in this one.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you will love it! the factory rem stuff is anemic.
try RL19, "around" 61 grains. hornady 200 sp's [cheap and accurate. deadly on deer also]. rem 9.5 mag primers and seat to 2.8" oal. walla.............
also, try a fullhouse 225 or 250 load it will really make you appreciate that 200 pop.......
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I think the best bullet for the .350 is the Nosler Partion. It is a somewhat short/fat bullet but still is a spitzer. It doesn't have to be deeply seated in the case. I once had an M700 Classic in the caliber. Best velocity and accuracy was with WW 748 (59 grains I think).

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 700 classic with 22" barrel and have had outstanding results with Nosler 225 partitions and Accurate's 2015 powder. In their "Updated fifth edition" loading gude they list a Rem 700 test rifle with 22" barrel, CCI 250 primers, and Rem brass with a start load of 51.3gr 2015 for 2505 fps with a 225 gr bullet and a Max load of 57.0 gr of 2015 for 2815 fps. They have since backed the load down to a max of 52.5gr of 2015 for 2657 fps and 52,600 c.u.p.'s in their reloading manuals. I've worked up to the 57.0 gr load with no pressure problems in my rifle. A friend met an Accurate powder rep at a show and questioned him on this and the 358 winchester loads and was told that they were "safe" loads. Anyhow, the 2015 and Nosler's 225 partitions should be a good place to start. Good luck with this fine caliber. Paul.

Note: The reloading manuals list the test gun as a Douglas and 20" length as opposed to the Rem 700 with 22" barrel in the loading guide.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Dude, Welcome Aboard! Great cartridge and an outstanding rifle.

The longest Bullets I've tried in my 350RemMag are the 225gr Sierras and Partitions. Both did fine, but not necessary for the smaller Deer and Hogs I get to see. Lots of Bullets from 150gr(when you can find them) up through the 220gr Speer shoot great and work well on game.

But, I've pretty much settled on the 200gr Hornady SP (home MOS2 coated) as my "Standard" to judge the others by. It is a tough bullet and I've yet to recover one that has entered a Deer. Only real problem is I REALLY like the RNs from Hornady, Sierra and Remington too. Kind of like Fly-swatting with a sledge hammer - they tend to stay where they were at the shot.

Biggest problem you will face is noise and lots of it. Mine has a 20" barrel too and you don't ever want to fire the rifle without some kind of hearing protection. I messed up and did it twice years ago and my ears still ring - no fun at all. Get some good old Sonic Ear Valves for about $9 and hunt with them in your ears. Or get some of the custom fit electronic ones. Your hearing is too important to goof up.

Then we get to Powders. If you are concerned about setting the woods afire, stick with Single Base Powders. If I crank up a Load with BL-C2 or WW-748, I end up with a serious flame thrower. If you fire them during a twilight period, and you are able to keep your eyes open during the shot, it will give you the old "Camera Flash" blind spot.

So, I've found IMR-4064 and H4895 to be excellent powders with the 200gr bullets. Haven't tried Varget yet, but since IMR-4064 works so well for me, I'd expect it to do likewise. Check your Hodgdon and Speer Manuals for starting loads.

How `bout the rest of you 350RemMag-ers? Any "muzzle flash" problems with the Double Base Powders or the Powders you use? Can you hear yours when it fires?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the loads for 2015 and noticed that they changed substantially from the Barnes #1 book and a hand out pamphlet from Accurate circa 1992 to more recent publications. The older loads suggested 60 gr of 2015 for 200 gr bullets, 57 of 2015 for 225 gr. and 54 of 2015 for 250 gr. The more recent books have much lower levels of this powder. Have they changed the powder or what?

posted Hide Post
Thanks for he heads up on ear protection. I've only shot this on the range, so only with ear protection and only with factory loads. I usually don't wear ear protection while hunting, but your experience is likely to change that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dude, I can't help you on the Accurate Powders, but some of these other guys probably can.

I also feel sure most of them will agree about the noise "if they can HEAR ME"!

I use both ear plugs and muffs at the Range when I'm shooting mine or any of my other Mags.

Back when I was fairly young four Elders I was priviledged to know had 350RemMags. Two bought the M600 as soon as they could find one. The other two were so impressed with their purchase that they got the M660s. All of them had a habit of saying, "Huh?" and "Speak up and quit mumbling!" after they had them a short while. Those were some excellent rifles but will totally destroy hearing.

Mine isn't so bad that it keeps me from hear a Deer moving about in the woods - sometimes.

By the way, there is no law that says every shot fired at the Range has to be at a MAX level. I have some 158gr Gas Checked Lead bullets that do right well in mine for just plinking around. I worked up the load using IMR-4227 and another using "2400". Just have to go slow and watch the Pressure Indicators if you decide to try this.

Best of luck to you. I feel sure you will love the rifle.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Accurate's 2015 at the maximum level in the old data the VIP referred to with no problem whatsoever. However, Accurate seems to be continually tinkering with this powder. At one point it was 2015BR, later it was XMR 2015, and someone on these threads mentioned it now called something a little different but still 2015.

I think if you work up your load slowly and judisciously you may find like VIP did that your rifle will handle these loads.

Posts: 58 | Location: Plain City, Ohio, USA | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote