New
Find
Notify
Tools

454Casull in Rifle length barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for starting loads. I will be shooting in a Browning 1885 single shot. 28 inch barrel

I am interested in powders that will benefit me with this long barrel. I know I am limited to case capacity, but what slow burners would be recommended. These will be rifle loads only.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use 296, should work fine.
One caution though if you hunt deer with it. The hard cast boolit will be too fast and you will want some expansion even with a WFN. Jacketed should not be a problem.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 4227 behind a 300 gr GC cast about 13 BHN shoots fine in a 20inch barrel. Very accurate in my gun.

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 40 gr H110 405 gr cast in a .410 with 45 Colt brass, but I think that is a double load for 454, and is way over length, as H110 will not compress.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 26 February 2009 20:56 Hide Post
I have shot 40 gr H110 405 gr cast in a .410 with 45 Colt brass, but I think that is a double load for 454, and is way over length, as H110 will not compress.

How did you get 40 gr in a .45 Colt case, yet claim it will not fit a .454?
All in all, it sounds like you are doing something very dangerous.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

That is why the put helmets on retarded kids.

From my notes.

quote:
7) 405 gr 2.1", 40 gr H110, CCI200, compressed, top hat and catered
primer, .004~.005" case head expansion, case head to body cracking,
broke shotgun stock that was not attached to anything but the gun[shock
against the stock's inertia]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Still a little confusing but I like your notes!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have since figured out that the butt of the shot gun must have been touching a brick wall between me and the gun, and that is how the force was developed to wreck the stock wrist.

The chamber walls are much thicker on a break action Stevens OEM 410 than on a 454 revolver.

Ruger may use specialty stainless that can go to 260 ksi in their 454, and the old shotgun may be 4140 at RC28, only good for 130 ksi, but the shotgun chamber walls are way more than twice as thick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm confuse too! Think about the PSI!!! Not in any of my guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MikeN

I was thinking 4227 as I have several pounds of it. I remember my 45 Colt days and how 4227 was a dirty powder and often left a "spray" of unburned powder granules. I always wanted a longer barrel. Gee!!! Now I have a 28" barrel. Anyone have thoughts on starting loads using IMR 4198 or 3031? Or are these powders not acceptable or dangerous for this application? I ask about them because I have 4 lbs of each.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
us

Posted 28 February 2009 09:33 Hide Post
MikeN

I was thinking 4227 as I have several pounds of it. I remember my 45 Colt days and how 4227 was a dirty powder and often left a "spray" of unburned powder granules. I always wanted a longer barrel. Gee!!! Now I have a 28" barrel. Anyone have thoughts on starting loads using IMR 4198 or 3031? Or are these powders not acceptable or dangerous for this application? I ask about them because I have 4 lbs of each.

Should not be dangerous as long as the case is full to the bottom of the bullet but very slow. 4227 will work fine. Just use revolver loads, your velocity will still be a lot higher. No need to do anything except proven revolver loads.
I would contact the powder company before messing with 4198 or 3031 just to be sure. Better safe then sorry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gain 150fps to 175 fps in the longer barrel over a 9 1/2 inch SRH with the 454 casull.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason I asked about rifle loads is that there are 44mag loads on the market that are specifically for rifle length barrels and are not meant for use in revolvers. I figured maybe there may be similar application for the 454.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member