New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet paper as case filler
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to thank Saeed for his suggestion of using TP as a case filler. I did this to my 375 loads and it definetly reduced the spread in velocities, if I recall the shots only varied by approx 20 fps which is less than what it would shot unfilled.
The funny thing that I experience was the big puff of minute peaces of TP out in front of the muzzle, at first I though I pulverised my chronograph again (last fall I shot a sabot slug for the first time and a part of the sleave trashed my chronograph). Point of interest I would have thought the TP would have been incinerated, but that did not happen.
Thanks again

[ 09-04-2003, 20:15: Message edited by: raamw ]

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
But does it wipe all the crap out of the barrel?

HA, HA, HA, HA!!!!! I made a funny!!!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is reported that chronographs will survive sabot loads if:

1. a piece of plywood with a window that matches the opening in the skyscreens is placed in front of the chronograph, advanced reloaders will place the plywood at a 45 degree angle to the shooting position to prevent possibly hazardous sabot rebound straight back at the shooter, and,

2. the chronograph is placed far enough downrange so that the paths of the bullet and the sabot have diverged enough so that the sabot hits the plywood and the bullet goes across the chronograph.

I had about decided to replace my foam filler with cotton balls from the drugstore, but no, everybody keeps coming up with good ideas, so now I have to think about TP too...

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nopers stan it just sounds funny you know Thuttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just be careful where you shoot loads with TP in them. Pieces come out smoldering and can start grass fires or worse in dry conditions.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TP was just pulverised into minute peaces, they were not on fire........ I would think they could not be on fire since the quanity is so little and it has been accerated to such a high speed it probably would blow out.

I have had my muzzle loader round ball patches smolder after the gun was fired and I would think they would be a fire potential since the cloth patch stays together after firing.

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
I want to thank Saeed for his suggestion of using TP as a case filler.... I pulverised my chronograph again....

What'd you hit it with the second time? Solid ball projectile out of "used" tp? If you wanna suggestion, eat lots of fruit and veggies. Next time it'll just splatter. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote