New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleanest burning powders for 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am planning on getting some loads put together for a Remington 7400 and would like to use a powder that creates as little residue as possible. I have 4320, H380, AA2520 to start with.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickt300:
I am planning on getting some loads put together for a Remington 7400 and would like to use a powder that creates as little residue as possible. I have 4320, H380, AA2520 to start with.

I have had good luck with Varget in my 30-06's thumb

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use 4064.. you dont find to many, what you might call dirty powder anymore..

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that it is the cleanest. but RL19 causes few problems in cleaning.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Vihtavuori powders are the cleanest burning on earth.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
RL 19 +1

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I started shooting for reliability. I fired 4 Remington 150 grain PSPCL's, all functioned perfectly. I then loaded the three good pieces of brass (one was a factory defect) with 45.2 grains of AA2520. Not enough gas volume to function. Then I tried 53.0 grains of H380, not good enough but almost, kind of dirty too. Then I tried 47.0 grains of AA2520, almost but not good enough. Next up is AA4350, 56.0 grains, works like a charm, last I try 55.0 grains o AA4350 and I get a reliable load a bit off top loadings. In all reloads the 165 grain Ballistic Tips were used. Aparently the 7400 was designed to work with medium slow burning powders if thats how you categorize the 4350's. Beyond that the same three cases were used for all loads and were still in good enough shape to load once more.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vihtavuori powders are the cleanest burning on earth.

I'll agree with that.

I'll also add:

1) Cleaning is part of the game.
2) I'm more interested in accuracy than cleanliness--just look at my living room........
3) Pressure affects how clean a powder will burn. What burns nice and clean in my 180 grain bullet's cartridge may not burn clean in your 150 grain bullet's cartridge.
4) What a good many people complain about when they are talking about "dirty" powders is carbon, which is the easiest thing to clean out of your barrel. If you're having trouble getting the carbon out, and you're not rushing the solvent, try a new cleaner.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Viht N160 - Very accurate, very clean.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the VihtaVuori line of powders.

I haven't found anything else that burns as cleanly.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Same for me. Nowadays I tend to standardize on N 160 (.338 WIN, .300 Win, 7x64, .270 Win, .30-06), N 140 (.308 Win, 7,5x55), N 135 (.22-250, 9,3x62)

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
+1 for the VihtaVuori line of powders.

+2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those last four Gentlemen are real profesionals. VihtaVuori powders are cleanist burning powders
in the whole world. You need N-150 too.
Of couse there are N-540, -550 and -560. But the first ones are good enough.

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesThis is not a recommendation Eeker ,but the cleanest powder I've fired in a 30-06 or most any rifle I've used it in was Blue Dot. BOOMroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I really cannot say which might be the cleanest burning but I sure am impressed with how clean Varget/AR2208 burns in both my 303 Brit and 303-25. So there are powders that burn cleaner than that! Wow!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Viht series of powders just isn't easily available to me over the shelf around here. But someday....

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Contact Powder Valley. It's worth the hazmat fee.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns