Find
Notify
Tools

How good is good?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
I have now been reloading for about 6 months, and have had some good results. My ruger M77MkII VT rifle in 22-250 will consistently groups my handloads less than 1" at 100 with my best being about .4". I have not had this gun worked on at all, but would like to have the action bedded and trigger work done. Any thoughts on whether this will be worth it?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Leave a sleeping dog lie

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
dancingYou're there!!! thumb roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your Ruger is like mine, it could use a trigger massage. I did mine, definitely helped take some weight and creepiness out of it.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've never found a rifle that didn't respond well to bedding. a bettter trigger is always welcome, that doesn't mean to rush out and spend 2-300 on bedding & trigger work, you can easily bed it yourself, and ruger triggers are one of the easiest to smooth and lighten up

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
In the words of an unknown but very wise man:
IT AINT BROKE SO DON"T FIX IT!

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That target trigger Ruger puts on the 77M11VT is pretty good as it comes, both I've shot were under 3 pounds and smooth, a good bedding job can't hurt and may keep it shooting good for years to come.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If it's shooting that well, I wouldn't touch the bedding. Depending on the trigger, it's worth some time to get it clean breaking about 3#. You'll probably be able to tweek your loads to stay consitantly in the 1/2moa.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
"Perfection is the worst enemy of good enough."

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consistant 1" with occassional .5" from a factory rifle? And you want to mess with it? Go lay down and put a cold rag on your head. You'll get over it atter while. I have a 22-250 that shoots like that and I win quite a few factory matches with it.
Spend the $200 on strong drink and weak women and practice, practice, practice. Improve your reloading and bench techniques to where you're consistant at the .5. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my second 10 rounds i ever loaded of 30-06 did .68 for the first 4 and the fith opened up to .95.
STOP

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger bedding system uses as angled forward action screw that provides a tensioned fit. It generally doesn't need any improvement. If the gun were shooting poorly, it would be a place to put a smear of epoxy. Any improvement will probably be found elsewhere.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
model7LSS, may I ask how many shots in each group? Are all group centres in the same place?

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, .... " Never mind that. It sounds like you have harmony with your rifle! Wink

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my Ruger Model 77 MkII rifles, I do three basic things to get very good accuracy.
I do a trigger job.
I polish the bore of the barrel as it is not lapped by the barrel maker.
I remove the forend pressure on the barrel to free float it.
Groups in all of rifles worked this way shoot 1/2", or better, for three shots at 100 yards.

Don