Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

Just beginning to investigate and purchase a reloading outfit mainly for my .22 Hornet rifle. I've looked at the Rock Chucker and Lee Anniversary kit's. The Rock Chucker is about $320.00 and the Lee is $79.00. What should I do???

Also, I wanted to read some techical info on the Realoading Forum but it said I didn't have access to this. Is this a secret room by invitation only? Please advise. Thanks

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Responses to this thread will be like those to the age-old questions as to which is better? Ford or Chevy. The 30.06 or the .270.
I have used both the Lee and RCBS equipment and can not say that one will produce more accurate ammo than the other. For the money I consider Lee dies and reloading equipment to be a good value. When loading smaller cases such as the Hornet, the Lee press will certainly get the job done. I use a Lee press mostly on my bench because of space constraints. Having said that, I have also broken an old Lee press while resizing .308 brass. The Lee press is not as stout as other presses, so if you plan to expand your reloading to include larger or magnum cases you may be better served with a RCBS or Other such press.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience has been pretty close to the previous poster. LEE loading eqpt has worked fine with a few glaring exceptions. The old caveat of "You get what you pay for", holds a lot of truth.

I usually buy the best gear I can afford at the time. I've found that skimping on things is usually a false economy. The RCBS presses as well as Hornady,Redding,etc are all fine. MANY, many of them out there used that can bepicked up cheaper.

I'd take a look at Graf, Lock Stock & Barrel, Midway,etc. See what the best deal is on a press kit and make your choice. I have seldom (probably never) been unhappy when I bought something of higher quality versus a bargain item.

Good Luck...... FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .22 HORNET:
Hi all,

Just beginning to investigate and purchase a reloading outfit mainly for my .22 Hornet rifle. I've looked at the Rock Chucker and Lee Anniversary kit's. The Rock Chucker is about $320.00 and the Lee is $79.00. What should I do???

Also, I wanted to read some techical info on the Realoading Forum but it said I didn't have access to this. Is this a secret room by invitation only? Please advise. Thanks

Here's another vote for the RCBS route...unless you are going to load just a few boxs of ammo a year the Lee just isn't in the same league as most of the other presses.....as to the Reloading Forum....I don't know and can't get in either? .....read a good manual and get downloads from the powder makers sites and bullet sites and ask the board any questions you might have...the Hornet being so small you can see big differences in small amounts of powder difference and try Remington 6 1/2 primers..they are made for small rifle cases...others work-but the Rem's often do better in the Hornet...according to the twist of barrel bullets from 40-55grain will work in the hornet....the 1-14twist will handle the 50-55grain and the 1-16 usually prefer the 40-50........there are some new lighter bullets but I haven't tried them in a Hornet.....H4227 is a "classic" Hornet powder and works well in several different loads for me.......also unless your Hornet is a very old gun the correct bullet diameter is standard .224.....some "Hornet" bullets for old pre 1950? guns were .223 and are still available......enjoy the new hobby and good luck and good shooting-loading!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would have to vote for RCBS.

Started with LEE equipment, after breaking the press and a couple of LEE dies tore up my cases I ordered an RCBS kit and use only RCBS and Redding dies.

If you are only going to reload for the Hornet the Lee kit would probably do, but if you intend to reload for some bigger calibers later on I recomend you spend a little more money.

Better that you only cry once, that is when you pay for it not every time you use it. [Frown]

Posts: 8 | Location: keflavik, iceland | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey I bought my first press about 5 months ago. It was RCBS Rochchucker kit and I have been very happy with it. Also if you shop around you should be able to find it around $260. It was available at both my nearby Cabelas and Gander Mountain for 259.99.

Good Luck and have fun
Carl

Posts: 153 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: 30 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all that commented on my post. It sounds like I ned to leave a few hints for Christmas for the RCBS kit.

About my Hornet. Don't laugh but I picked it up new this summer from a local gun shop. It is the NEF Handi Rifle topped with a Tasco World Class 3x9x40. The gun shoots the Winchester 46gr HP factory loads pretty decent but at the cost of factory Hornet ammo, who can shoot as often as they want!

Bigdaddytacp - You mentioned twist rates. My Handi has a 1:12 twist. Would this indicate my rifle would do better with the longer, heavier bullets? Thanks

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can start with a LEE, and as your experance/needs grow purchase the Rockchucker (press only) later. Same with the other items in the kit, upgrade later as needed. You can always find a use for a second press, I currently use a Rockchucker for my sizing dies and my old RCBS Jr. for seating. You can use the LEE the same way (after you upgrade).
Used equipment is another good way to go, with the best deals comming from those guys that "tried it and didn't like it", followed by the "upgraded my press, don't need this one anymore" guys.
LEE get's you in the game for less money up front, and you might never feel the need to upgrade your equipment.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22 Hornet: if your rifle has a 1:12 twist, I want one too! NEF/H&R has stuck to the standard 1:16 twist forever, and I doubt yours is different. Kimber and Ruger(maybe Sako and CZ) both use a 1:14, and that should be the "norm", but it isn't.
My NEF Hornet is a good shooter with 35-45gr pills, but pukes on 50+grain bullets.

As to loading gear: don't forget Lyman and Redding, both good quality manufacturers.

Several people have thought the finicky Hornet case might benefit from the Lee collet die,as the brass is so fragile and headspaces on the rim. Just got mine, but have not dedicated the time to try it out (too many other fun projects).

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mulerider:
22 Hornet: if your rifle has a 1:12 twist, I want one too! NEF/H&R has stuck to the standard 1:16 twist forever, and I doubt yours is different. Kimber and Ruger(maybe Sako and CZ) both use a 1:14, and that should be the "norm", but it isn't.
My NEF Hornet is a good shooter with 35-45gr pills, but pukes on 50+grain bullets.

As to loading gear: don't forget Lyman and Redding, both good quality manufacturers.

Several people have thought the finicky Hornet case might benefit from the Lee collet die,as the brass is so fragile and headspaces on the rim. Just got mine, but have not dedicated the time to try it out (too many other fun projects).

Hi Mulerider, my Hornet really is a 1:12. The NEF website states that as well other Handi owner's. Is this good or bad?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .22 HORNET:
quote:
Originally posted by Mulerider:

Hi Mulerider, my Hornet really is a 1:12. The NEF website states that as well other Handi owner's. Is this good or bad?
Here is NEF's twist rates of various calibers.
.17 HMR 1 in 9"
.22 LR 1 in 16"
.22 WMRF 1 in 16"
.22 Hornet 1 n 12"
.223 1 in 12"
.25/06 1 in 10"
.243 1 in 10"
.270 1 in 10"
.280 1 in 10"
.308 1 in 10"
357 Mag 1 in 18 3/4"
7x57 1 in 10"
7x64 1 in 10"
30/30 1 in 10"
30/06 1 in 10"
38/55 1 in 18"
44 Mag 1 in 38"
45/70 1 in 20"
Shotgun Barrels
45 Colt/410 1 in 16"
20 ga. 1 in 28"
12 ga. 1 in 35"

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 1:12 Hornet would be truly unique. I would check with NEF for a typo.
223 Rem shooters(and other cartridges) have found faster twist barrels an asset, with seldom a downside. Hornets could long ago have benefited from a faster twist, but like GM/Ford of the 70's, "it has always been this way".
My Kimber Hornet (circa 1987) was one of the first 1:14, and I always hoped others would follow. Some manufacturers did, others didn't.
IF NEF went to a 1:12, it shows somebody is using their head.
Another common cartridge that would benefit is the 22-250; it usually has a 1:14, so heavy bullets seldom work. Plenty of horsepower, slow twist.....

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I did the hand test. I put two marks on my cleaning rod 12" apart and pushed the rod in with a patch until it just touched the first mark. Then continued push until the second mark rotated ine full turn. Whamo! 1:12 exactly. But, I still don't know if this indicates I should be using lighter or heavier bullets? Please help. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
1 in 12 means your spinning the bullet faster than a 1 in 16 would at the same velocity. Longer bullets need to spin faster than shorter bullets to stablize.
It means you can use the longer bullets if you want to.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,

Of the factory ammo, Winchester 46gr HP, Remington 45gr HP and Hornady 35gr v-max, I get the best groups with the Winchester 46gr. I did notice that the AOL was greater with the Winchesters so I guess that's why they group better. I really wanted to shoot the Hornady 35gr v-max for the increased velocity. Guess I'll have to settle for the longer, slower bullets for accuracy. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like they are using the same rifled blanks for .223 and the Hornet - probably to cut down on the number of different things they need to produce - I'd do it too if I were manufacturing the rifles.

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started with the Lee set because of my lack of expendable income at that time. It worked for many years and I'm sure it still does. I found that as time went by I wanted to replace all of that Lee stuff with "heavier duty" equipment. The 1st thing to go was the powder measure. Anyway, The cost up front may be less for the Lee set. The replacement cost in the long run will get you a double whammy. It is makes more economic sense to buy what you want now. Due to inflation you will pay more later for the upgraded equipment.

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
2 more cents on the reloading gear: Regardless of the press, you will find that the Lee Collet die for 22 Hornet will do a much better job of resizing that case. It neck sizes without moving the shoulder back. The brass is thin and easily pushed back in the shoulder area during sizing with ordinary dies. The Lee Collet die lets you headspace on that sloped shoulder which will shoot better, too(instead of the rim). Also, the little short bullets for the Hornet are easily cocked in an ordinary seating die and distort the neck. You can often see this in handloaded rounds. Get a good precision bullet seater like Redding or others that align the bullet properly. I think most makers have some version of a top-end seater. The Lee works well in this regard. None of this is nearly as relavant to ordinary cases as it is to the Hornet for good, consistent accuracy in a normal sporting rifle. I don't shill for LEE, I have however spent a great deal of time figuring how to get Hornets to shoot well and this works well.
P.S.: 13.0 gr 'LiL Gun behind the Hornday 35 gr V-Max is good for about 3000 ftscds and not at all loud. Start a grain lower in your gun and work it up.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You might look on eBay for a used Rock Chucker press. RCBS has a great warranty and they will fix it if anything is wrong with it. I've had mine for over 20 years, have reloaded many tens of thousands of rounds with it, and it's still going strong.

You will also need a few reloading data manuals. I like Sierra's 5th edition and McPherson's Metallic Cartridge Reloading book.

Posts: 13 | Location: California | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote