THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Which is the Best of the Big Single Stage Press's?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which is the Best of the Big Single Stage Press's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Since Atkinson is retiring see if he'll sell you that Hollywood.I use mine to reload 404 length cases. And it is still a great press at nearly 50 years old. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
PC:

FYI - There's a Big Max on eBay right now (currently at $205, with reserve met). Thought you might like to know.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks RSY

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used an RCBS Rockchucker for years now and never found it wanting. Much of my reloading today is for benchrest rifles and for them I use Wilson bushing knock out dies and a little mallet. It's all that's required. There's no press involved. For my hunting calibers however, my Rockchucker does nicely. I've no complaints. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Hollywood is not only a bruiser of a press but has a bruiser of a handle. Back when I was sizing a couple of hundred rounds in an evening I would have a nasty bruise on my hand from it. One of these days I'm going to turn a wooden ball and glue it on.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
The CoAx takes standard 7/8" dies. There is an overhead clearance issue with the yoke type handle - some micrometer type dies such as Redding won't fit. And I'm going to have to make up a short seater spindle, for 350 grainers in the .375 H&H [Hornady dies], for this reason.

Some types of locking rings don't work well though - particularly hex ones. I prefer split rings anyway; Simplex and Hornady both work just fine.

Even in the US, they're far from a cheap press. Great reputation for producing concentric ammo though, due to the die and shellholder 'floating'. Keep your eye open for S/H ones - you can be lucky. I was - $50, though w/out primer catcher, for a model B-1!

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

Toys for Big Boys may be the agent but does not mean they are "available" . Just like his ads for Kimber rifles. The only agent that's got em in NSW is Elks in Albury " maybe".

I don't know why he bothers to advertise. Nothing is ever available. Try finding Barnes Bullets. Nobody stocks em.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
>>Functionally, it will basically do anything any RCBS or Redding press will do. Further, if someone thinks there is something the Lee Classic can do that the Forster can't (aside from using a collet puller), well, you've been sorely misled and misinformed.<<

Actually it has a significant weakness when used for case forming. When performing very high pressure case forming operations you can push the die hard enough to break the die lock ring. In other compound presses that retain the die by its threads in a hardened steel bushing you can split the die before anything else lets go. You can take a
.444 Marlin case and force it into a .44 Mag steel sizer
die up to the rim to find out for yourself.
Ed

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John T,

Like you I have not needed new relaoding stuff But I time is important to me so investing in some stuff that makes things quicker gives me more time and I like that....hence the purchase of a progressive dillon for my junk ammo.

I to have heard some good reviews on the lee....the Co-Ax is availbe from Toy's for Big Boy's in SA, but you would be better to order direct from Grafs. With the Forster can you use your regular dies ?? I have heard that this press is wonderful.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC

Maybe not in the league of the Ultrmag but have a look at the Lee Classic cast iron press. For about $130 Aussie a lot of press for the money. Press not long ago released to Aussie market.

Will take the big (1 1/8?) dies too. Already had a Simplex O which works fine but wanted one with a bigger opening & ram size. Plus I hate those spent primers popping out everywhere. Have to get some bolts & stuff to install on my bench but so far everything seems to be well designed if not with the bullet proofness of the Reddings/RCBS but then for $130? Typical Lee ingenuity. eg. handle is hollow rod rather than solid steel.

I didn't really need a new press but then like you I am loading the big 3.6 OAL cases more & more. Do a google search it has had good reviews.

What I would really like is a CO-Ax but big money & not avail here as far as I have been able to find out.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote