Tools

New or used brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Hi Guys,

Quick question:

If you full length resize, do you use new or used (maybe once fired) brass for your most accurate loads. Are there any benefits to using fired brass if you full length resize anyway?

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
If you full lenth resize you take the case to minimum dimentions and overwork the brass. Try partial full length resizing of your fired brass and see if you don't see an improvement in accuracy along with longer case life.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i like once fired brass. usually from my friends it is free. I F/L size, check, clean and load. it dont matter what brand i get for hunting. Some brass i have to get new. like me .260 Rem.

Posts: 1136 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Surko:
If you full lenth resize you take the case to minimum dimentions and overwork the brass. Try partial full length resizing of your fired brass and see if you don't see an improvement in accuracy along with longer case life.

I don't have any accuracy issues yet. My last load in .338wm gave me 1/2" @ 100m. I loaded previously fired Winchester cases which I have full length sized. I have a batch of new Winchester brass and was just wondering whether it will have any effect on the loads performance.

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just make sure the necks have no flat spots.
And be sure to chamber them in your rifle,if they go in,load-em and go shoot -em.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote